Disc Brake - Wheel Removal

KevinA
KevinA Posts: 492
edited January 2019 in Road general
Hi

I have just bought a disc break bike and took the back wheel off to go on the turbo trainer, when I was putting it back on it was a lot harder than my rim brake bike but I managed to get it on. I think the pad is rubbing against the disc and wondered if this was usual or if I have done something wrong?

If I have done something wrong how do I resolve it?

The bike is a Specialized E5 Sport Crux

Thanks

Comments

• Take the wheel off, stick it upside down, wheel on, give it a spin, should be free running if seated properly.

Turn it over, let it rest on the ground, then tighten the QR, should be in its natural position.

If it's rubbing chances are you've moved the pad across or something when pushing the disc back in. Give it a few brakes on the road and it should settle back.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • KevinA
    KevinA Posts: 492
    Thanks, it was a nightmare to get on so I’m with you that the pad has moved,

First disc brake bike

Not a good day as I broke my cervelo rear mech hanger as well
  • I'm forever swapping my wheels on my bikes, and can do it quickly and without issue with my rim brake wheelsets - but the bike with the disc brakes is a pita most of the time. I always seem to take a few goes to get the disc to slide in between the pads due to the close clearance.

Note: if you have hydraullic discs, I wouldn't be turning the bike upside down. It's possible you can get a small bubble of air in the system which usually finds its way to the highest point - the oil resevoir at the shift. But if you turn the bike upside down this can then find its way into the cables / callipers and would impact braking performance (either spongy braking or potentially none) - I speak from experience here, as I used to turn my bike upside down to make swapping the wheels over or for fixing a flat.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Note: if you have hydraullic discs, I wouldn't be turning the bike upside down. It's possible you can get a small bubble of air in the system which usually finds its way to the highest point - the oil resevoir at the shift. But if you turn the bike upside down this can then find its way into the cables / callipers and would impact braking performance (either spongy braking or potentially none) - I speak from experience here, as I used to turn my bike upside down to make swapping the wheels over or for fixing a flat.

Err, how do you get an air bubble into a closed system just because the bike is turned upside down? I suspect in your experience you had an incorrectly bled brake which had air still in it and said air bubble moved to the highest point with the bike inverted.

PP
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Which will move back to the reservoir when you turn it back upright again.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools