Wheel on vs Direct Drive

2»

Comments

• Hi all,newbie questions coming,sorry for headwrecking in advance.Using my tacx vortex trainer at the moment,just about to die the thing on me.thinking to purchase a kickr 2018 or a neo 2.really wanna know and curious about you guys opinion regarding what can I expect after spending a massive amount of money on one or another.being a father of two,with work etc..... at the moment can't get out as much I'd love to,so using the turbo approx 5 times a week mainly zwifting races and workouts.im 41 years old,started to cycle 3 years ago,69 kilo at the moment with approximately 340 ftp.main question would be that the whole racing experience would change that much regarding time,feel,etc....what would be my main benefit on zwifting if I go for the best trainers instead just buy the vortex again?I know about Tyre slips and slower reactions with mine,but for example how silent or loud the trainer is doesn't really matter for me with headphones plugged in and neighbours kinda away in the block.so.put it that way,what will be my benefits if I pay 1200+ euros on a trainer instead of 250?I know the question is kinda odd,but no idea what to expect for example times in races.does the vortex reaction time that slow compare to these,that I could be better positioned?also not a sprinter,so again a turbo with 1000 watt max is plenty for me at the moment.anyway,thanx for the inputs in advance,really would like to know what you people think and go easy on me pls ;). PS:Using a faveros assioma duo for power at the moment
  • Balazsgal wrote:
    I know the question is kinda odd,but no idea what to expect for example times in races.does the vortex reaction time that slow compare to these,that I could be better positioned?also not a sprinter,so again a turbo with 1000 watt max is plenty for me at the moment.anyway,thanx for the inputs in advance,really would like to know what you people think and go easy on me pls ;).
    Your Zwift race times won't change much (unless your current power numbers are way out). The biggest differences are an enhanced user experience with smoother/faster gradient changes and a better "feel" to the ride. So yes with the increased price there is a big difference in performance and features, whether that's worth the extra money is down to you.

If you're happy with your current experience then stick with it. If you Zwift a lot and are after a better experience, then go high-end direct drive if money allows. Was my NEO money well spent? I don't know, but I'm glad I bought it and have never regretted spending the dollars on it.
    Balazsgal wrote:
    PS:Using a faveros assioma duo for power at the moment
    They are a solid and reliable unit. Nice choice.
  • Thank you so much for the input,really appreciate any info