monday every simply connected closed 3-manifold is homeomorphic to the 3-sphere, therefore remain

sungod
sungod Posts: 17,126
edited January 2019 in The bottom bracket
'ning

perelman had the answer all along, could've saved a lot of time

early car to airport, just had the full english brekkie with bubbly, off to euroland for a few days with gmc punter of gmc punter of gmc, i shall, again, have to resist the urge to kill

peak temperature forecast as zero, packed a scarf, and some emergency tawny port
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Good day all. WFH. Think I'll log on to company network to book some holiday then delete stuff.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, cold again whilst walking the dog i have been looking at the eclipse of the moon , a bit different but very nice to say in the clear sky
    Have a good week
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,082
    Working too far from home and so very tired.

Later is meant to be running club - can’t be bothered
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Morning

Started off sub zero this morning but it's warmed up to a balmy 2 degrees already. Caught the end of the eclipse before being treated to a full moon on the way into work (lunar, not drafting someone with oversized shorts).
    Got some stuff I need to do at lunchtime, but forgotten what it was already :(
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I mis read Tawny Port as Tawny Owl, I was very confused for a moment there!

Warm this morning 3.5c according to the car, declined riding in after being up most of the night. Hard drive started doing very iffy things so been up trying to recover it most of the night. Turns out if the drive gives a SMART warning to the NAS it just stopping doing backups and doesn't tell you.
    Lots of nerding into the early hours looks like I got most of the data.

Its also to early to be throwing Poincaré conjecture around SG, I need coffee, roughly one Firkin please.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,126
    -4 and sunny here, head to hotel and maybe a stroll for coffee and cake
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • step83
    My current expensive view...

45910750315_b21670a2ff_b.jpg
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    Afternoon workers and shirkers (feel free to self identify as either in the new family friendly forum),

This mornings ride sure woke me up, though not sure my legs were on top form after the battering they got on the slopes last week. Not a bad first day back and I'm just about to try getting car insurance for junior without a mortgage. Also trying to eat vaguely healthily after last week but there's no way I'm doing a 'dry' month or anything daft like that.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Wotcha get her Stevo?
    What's the female equivalent of a babe magnet?
  • ballysmate
    Not a worker so I guess that makes me a shirker. Pleasant 35 miles this morning which is about my limit this time of year. Any longer and the extremities start to feel the cold.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,087
    Step83 wrote:

I'd say that you were about 5'9"".

Tricky was being very tricky today.
    Mowstly stacked wood.
    No shiny engine bits in post - boo.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • step83
    Pinno wrote:
    Step83 wrote:

I'd say that you were about 5'9"".

Laters.

Not far off, 5'10" While the Cippolini is nice, I prefered the Cincelli which also comes in rim brake flavour.
  • Stevo_666
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Wotcha get her Stevo?
    What's the female equivalent of a babe magnet?
    1l Polo with a whopping 59 bhp (well almost got it - just making sure the insurance is not needing a mortgage before buying it). Not sure that will have the lads forming an orderly queue.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    oxoman wrote:
    Stevo, a female with a care will definitely be a lad magnet to those unable to drive. Have fun with the insurance, it can be a minefield of what they can and cannot do. Managed to save a lump on lads insurance by putting my name on it as a named driver, also comes in handy having a 2nd car to drive occasionally. Be wary of curfews as well.

The rationale for that is that if you are driving it, your sprog can't be, thereby theoretically reducing the risk. Adding extra drivers beyond this, negates any saving.
  • Stevo_666
    oxoman wrote:
    Stevo, a female with a care will definitely be a lad magnet to those unable to drive. Have fun with the insurance, it can be a minefield of what they can and cannot do. Managed to save a lump on lads insurance by putting my name on it as a named driver, also comes in handy having a 2nd car to drive occasionally. Be wary of curfews as well.
    So managed to get it down below £1,500 fully comp with my current insurers, no black box and no curfews, with me and Mrs 666 as named drivers. Going to have a go with Hastings Direct tonight to see if I can do any better.

That said, I'll do anything I can to avoid driving it. A bloody hamster on a wheel chucks out more torque than that car.
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    oxoman wrote:
    So managed to get it down below £1,500 fully comp with my current insurers, no black box and no curfews, with me and Mrs 666 as named drivers. Going to have a go with Hastings Direct tonight to see if I can do any better.

That said, I'll do anything I can to avoid driving it. A bloody hamster on a wheel chucks out more torque than that car.

She can make up for it with hooge base speakers, amp and some bangin' tunes.
  • ballysmate
    When my lad was a teen we got him insured through Hastings. About a month before his policy was due for renewal they wrote, saying that there had been a mistake and they should not have issued a policy, giving a full refund. :shock:
  • Stevo_666
    oxoman wrote:
    Best deal we got was Hastings Direct premier cover which gets roadside recovery etc included.
    Just got a quote for £712 from Hastings direct for their premier cover :shock: that's less than half what Direct Line quoted and I though that wasn't too shabby. Strifey thinks there must be something wrong :roll:
  • pinno
    Have you missed something?
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    Have you missed something?
    Just went and double checked the factual stuff I input - nout wrong there. The excess is quite high - about £600 but that's got a young persons extra mandatory excess. Even includes legal cover and roadside assistance. I'll call them in the morning just to be sure as it does seem a bit too good.

It's still more than mine though...
  • pinno
    It's jaw droppingly cheap IMHO.
  • ballysmate
    Too cheap
  • pinno
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Too cheap

There's no need for that.

Is that with a flight box Stevo?
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Too cheap

There's no need for that.

Is that with a flight box Stevo?
    No. Another reason why it looks odd.

Edit: Just thought - Hastings might be giving a big discount on the basis that a learner she will always have one of us parents in the car with her, whereas Direct Line said that just treat learners the same as someone who has just passed. Quite a few learner only policies are pretty cheap because of the 'supervised driver' aspect. So if Hastings hike the premium big time when she passes (probably quite soon), I'm not comparing like with like.
  • Stevo_666
    oxoman wrote:
    Stevo, if she's still a learner you can get a learner only policy from a month to a year for any car up to group 30 something as long as with the owners permission and sitting with them. Only downside is unless a full yr on single policy you get no ncb. We used marmalade insurance at the time. Big downside was when he passed his first fully comp insurance was around £1400 without black box for a little kia picanto. Luckily it dropped by 500 for his renewal before Christmas.
    Thanks Oxo.

I have at least one bearable quote so will stick a deposit on the car this morning then have a word with Hastings about their quote and see what it would look like if she passes. Direct Line at least offer a policy that will get her a full year on her own policy and NCB by next Jan (maybe...)