Dura Ace 11 speed cassette reliability

earth
earth Posts: 934
edited February 2019 in Road general
I've read the carbon spacers in Dura-Ace cassettes break but I want to use a 12-28 cassette. Counter intuitively there is no Ultegra 12-28, only Dura-Ace. So are they still prone to failure? How bad is it?

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    How old are the reports of failures you've read? I remember this being a thing a couple of years ago but would have thought Shimano might have sorted it by now - particularly with the newer 9100 cassettes.

You do get a three year warranty at least so ought be covered for any failure that happens.

You could save a huge amount of money by learning to love an 11-28 cassette instead (which comes in Ultegra and 105) so that might be a better option if you are concerned.
  • I've had 2 separate DuraAce cassette fails - over 3 years. These were the 9000 series though. I gave up buying them as they were too expensive and not reliable.I didn't go down the warranty route as could not find my receipts!
    I subsequently bought a Sram Red cassette (12-26), it's light and reliable (though silly expensive)....it's not a patch on shift quality compared with 'any' Shimano unit.
    Next cassette purchase will be Ultegra for sure.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    the early DA cassettes were prone to collapsing when the carrier broke. Ive had no problems with the latter ones.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    The early ones had reported issues on the forums, Shim updated the design as I recall. I've had 3 DA cassettes and no issues with any of them. I've also tried the Red cassette, it's light but I found it noisy and switched back to Shim. Ultegra doesn't give that much away in weight if you're worried, lots of people running DA group sets switch to ultegra cassettes because of the cost.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I used an early one a 9000 12/28 and had no issues. now use a Sram for 11/28 as it has the elusive 16tooth cog that I use a lot! for climbing mountains I use 11/30. the 24 and 27 take a hammering and the bailout gear is 36-30. I use ultegra cassettes for that as they last a bit better.
  • earth
    I'm not concerned with the weight but I would rather have 12-28 instead of 11-28 because I don't really need the smaller sprocket and would rather closer sprockets. But strangely 12-28 is only available as Dura-Ace otherwise I would go for Ultegra.
  • earth
    Anyone tried an Edco cassette? Monoblock. It's almost the same price as the Dura Ace.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I've seen the rotor equivalent. they have a tendency to shear and split ( youtube searches offer a rather worrying pattern).