Should I get rid of mountain bike?

bongofish
bongofish Posts: 123
edited April 2019 in Road beginners
So I started getting into bikes a year ago and started with mountain bikes. First spending £300 and then £600 and now have a calibre triple b that cost £1300. But while the trails are super muddy I decided to get a road bike just to keep fit on. Anyway I've been really enjoying my bike. It's actually an adventure bike but I put continental gator tyres on to make it more road. It's the Boardman adv 8.8. my question is I've been enjoying the road bike that much I'm not sure whether to sell my mountain bike and buy a entry but descent full carbon road bike that only comes out in dry descent weather and use my Boardman adventure bike for all other things like wet weather and the family rides around parks etc . I have used the mountain bike twice in the 2-3 months I've had it and used my Boardman 4-5 times a week. Just wondering what anyone else would do. I only weigh 12 stone and I'm quite fit so don't need to lose weight but would love a bike that weighed 8-9kg (Boardman is 11kg) for nice dry days to really get some miles in and get them hills done.

What would anyone else do?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    MTFU and embrace the mud.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Like you, I started with MTB then got a road bike. Now, I have a carbon road bike for ‘best’ (dry, summer), my first road bike has been relegated to a winter bike with mudguards, used in the wet and winter, and the MTB goes out all year round when I want some off-road action (I’m lucky to live in an area with bridlepaths and byways on my doorstep). This includes riding at night. I’m also building a gravel bike.

If you need the money then sell it. If you have the space to keep it, find how to fit it in to your life and enjoy it. Maybe find a local group to ride with. Or set yourself an off-road challenge (I rode the Ridgeway a couple of years ago and fancy a go at the Rat Race Crossing one day).
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    When i started i was all on MTB, given my disc hernia i would never thought that i would get into road biking, but a friend convinced me to try. For a couple of years Saturday's where always road, Sundays for the MTB. Now is like 90%-10%, but i will never sale my MTB. I still enjoy some trails, i still have some connection with MTBers, and when i see it i remember how i started.

So if you dont desperately need the money, or your other half treating you with a divorce dont sell it. You will regret it.
  • I started on MTBs, moved almost exclusively to road bikes about 10 years ago but slowly drifted back to MTBs for something different - it's cycling but a different skillset so I'd say enjoy both...especially if you have good trails on your doorstep which many people don't - having to travel for good MTB riding can be a massive downside.
  • bongofish
    bongofish Posts: 123
    Thanks for the responses! To reply to the MTFU comment, I agree and I don't agree. I totally get mountain biking is about mud and being out in thee woods and trails getting mucky and having fun. But it was so muddy last time it was like pedaling in treacle and I was literally a mud monster having to strip to my underpants before entering the house.

I have Leeds bike park trails 25 mins drive away which are really fun but it's just getting busier and busier and full of more and more wankers who walk back up the trails constantly to re-do there favourite sections . Does my head in when your having fun going down and then people stood on Jumps or walking back up the actual trail. One of the main reasons I got I to biking was I couldn't believe how easy it was to escape the busy hectic life of the world and within 60 seconds pedalling from my house in into open fields and some real beautiful places.

My wife and daughter have bikes too so there's no room for me to have 3 and while I could buy a nice carbon bike on plastic right now my wife would kill me. It's a much softer blow to just replace it if that makes sense.

Also seen as my current bike is a gravel bike with road tyres on (and to be fair I'm really impressed with its versatility) if I got a full on out carbon road bike I could use my current bike for all the bridal ways and little dirt trails round here. To be honest I do now even with slicks on and I don't find it a problem . Just take it steady.

Would love a nice light road bike haha
  • I would keep it, it will always be there should you need it.
  • My Spec hardtail has been "away on duty" with No1 daughter for the last year or so, it came back home at Christmas so i'm MTB capable once more, or so i thought.... No3 and No4 daughters have already claimed it (fighting over it) so i0m back on my CX until further notice. I like re-bike-cycling, and getting the girls out there on 2 wheels so if you have a chance to let someone else use it then why not, assuming you may be able to still have access to it ?
  • I’ve regretted getting rid of seldom used bikes in the past. Invariably a use appears as soon as you wave goodbye. Think hard. Think laterally....and then lift the old grey matter out of the box.
  • I've regretted selling the majority of the bikes I've owned over the years to afford to upgrade, keep it