new Continental GP 5000

parkergrey
parkergrey Posts: 12
edited January 2019 in Road buying advice
What's the sizing like of the new GP 5000's? My rims are 25mm external and 18mm internal and with the GP4000s mark 2 I have to run 23mm tyres which on my rims measure just over 25mm at the widest point. I'd like to run tubeless but the narrowest width of those is 25mm and I'm worried that they'll balloon and go wider than the rim killing my aero benefits. The 25mm GP4000s mark 2 go really wide, like 28mm on my rims.

Comments

• parkergrey wrote:
    I'm worried that they'll balloon and go wider than the rim killing my aero benefits.

What is your CdA?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    parkergrey wrote:
    I'm worried that they'll balloon and go wider than the rim killing my aero benefits.

Not sure if serious...
  • parkergrey wrote:

What is your CdA?

I have no idea but I'm not sure that will change the aero nature of my wheel?
  • imposter2.0
    parkergrey wrote:
    parkergrey wrote:

What is your CdA?

I think the point being made is that unless 'aero benefits' are somehow critical to your riding (ie in terms of competitive TT performance, etc), then having a wider tyre doesn't really matter one way or the other.
  • Imposter wrote:
    parkergrey wrote:

Not sure if serious...

Yes, I'm serious, do you dispute the entire idea of deep section wheels?
  • imposter2.0
    parkergrey wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    parkergrey wrote:

Not sure if serious...

Yes, I'm serious, do you dispute the entire idea of deep section wheels?

See my previous answer above...
  • Imposter wrote:
    parkergrey wrote:
    parkergrey wrote:

What is your CdA?

I think the point being made is that unless 'aero benefits' are somehow critical to your riding (ie in terms of competitive TT performance, etc), then having a wider tyre doesn't really matter one way or the other.

Yes, I am competitive which is why I'm asking.
  • From what I've read, they approx +1mm over the stated width in 700x28 flavour, as opposed to being approx +3mm in GP4000S IIs.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • From what I've read, they approx +1mm over the stated width in 700x28 flavour, as opposed to being approx +3mm in GP4000S IIs.
    Cool, then I'd guess the 25mm will be faster. Thanks!
  • If you’re competitive and aero is essential, why don’t you use a better tyre?
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Op has bought deep section wheels, it’s widely known that the rim should be slightly wider than the tyre to let the wheel function as designed, so he’s asking a fairly reasonable question. He wants his aero wheels to give him the benefit for which he bought them, why give him a hard time?

Good call, and gone for 27mm wide rims.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
    Such as? They are tested as almost the fastest rolling tyre on the market and also one of if not the most aero.
  • parkergrey wrote:
    If you’re competitive and aero is essential, why don’t you use a better tyre?
    Such as? They are tested as almost the fastest rolling tyre on the market and also one of if not the most aero.

Well, what rims are you using? If you're on Zipps (for example) then there own tyres are designed to match them for best results. Same as Mavic with thier Yksion tyres, Bontrager do something similar too. Continental tyres were always seen as the best all round tyre but not world beating in any single area. Which is why they make excellent training tyres but not really what is use in competition.
  • parkergrey wrote:

You're an ad man's dream.
  • It took 16 posts before the link was rolled out (excuse the pun).
  • Out of interest, which do you think are better?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    parkergrey wrote:

just buy some and report back. I've just got some 4000RS in the sale and they are pretty quick tyres... (quicker than 4000s II) do a bit of research on fast rolling and aero tyres. there are loads out there. the 5000s do seem to be pretty good, but they are pricy. at least where I am they are.
  • One tubeless are £77 the pair at Wiggle at the moment incidentally.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • parkergrey wrote:

Well, what rims are you using? If you're on Zipps (for example) then there own tyres are designed to match them for best results. Same as Mavic with thier Yksion tyres, Bontrager do something similar too. Continental tyres were always seen as the best all round tyre but not world beating in any single area. Which is why they make excellent training tyres but not really what is use in competition.
    Continental Competition tubulars used by many pro's, so not really correct.
  • OnTheRopes wrote:
    parkergrey wrote:

Continental Competition tubulars used by many pro's, so not really correct.

These particular tyres are not tubular. So. What's your point?

And many a time a rider has been seen with one tyre branded on another due to sponsorship so it may look like a continental but it'll be whatever the rider prefers.
  • OnTheRopes wrote:
    parkergrey wrote:

And many a time a rider has been seen with one tyre branded on another due to sponsorship so it may look like a continental but it'll be whatever the rider prefers.
    My point dear fellow is that your comment that Continental tyres are good for training and not really used in competition is quite incorrect, tyres are tyres and whilst we are on the subject Continental GP4000s2 are tyres I believe and commonly used in amateur racing.
  • OnTheRopes wrote:
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    parkergrey wrote:

My point dear fellow is that your comment that Continental tyres are good for training and not really used in competition is quite incorrect, tyres are tyres and whilst we are on the subject Continental GP4000s2 are tyres I believe and commonly used in amateur racing.

It's pretty much common knowledge that everyone races on Vittoria Corsa's or GP4000 2's or there tubular equivalents in the pro peloton. I've raced both and they're both great tyres with my prefference towards the Contis. To think of Conti's as second rate is a mistake.
  • @ontheropes - tyres are tyres are they? Really? So you would be happy saying a set of £60 each Vittoria Corsa G+ are the same as a set of Continental Gatorskins?

@parkergrey - this is not tubular tyres GP4000 or 5000 clinchers are far removed from the tubular equivalent and the sponsorship tyre isn't always going to be what actually in the bike. Blacked out branding on different tyres has been going on for years. And it's probably more likely they are on handmade bespoke tyres not actually available to anyone but the teams. This is one area the UCI is pretty relaxed on.

The off the shelf GP4000/5000 clinchers are not anywhere near the same as the tubular competition. As for the comment everyone is on Vittoria Corsas or gp4000s utter BS. So Specialized sponsored teams are not riding on S-Works turbo cotton then or Trek Segafredo on Bontrager Aeolus both of which are exceptional tyres.
  • @TP - Mate I really can't be arsed to argue. But when you said "These particular tyres are not tubular. So. What's your point?" Ermm I think you will find Conti Competition are tubulars,

The OP asked about GP5000's to which you said nobody really uses Continental in competition, a statement which is simply not true. I am fully aware of blacked out tyres and I am fully aware that pro's using Conti Competition Tubulars actually get the pro version which are not available off the shelf, I used to run a team and we were lucky enough at the time to be sponsored by Continental and had access to the pro version.
    However, not everybody is a professional, and tens of thousands of people around the world take part in amateur road races. and quite a lot of them use GP4000sii clincher tyres and no doubt next year many will be racing on GP5000's including myself, which is why your statement is incorrct.
  • OnTheRopes wrote:
    @TP - Mate I really can't be arsed to argue. But when you said "These particular tyres are not tubular. So. What's your point?" Ermm I think you will find Conti Competition are tubulars,

The OP asked about GP5000's to which you said nobody really uses Continental in competition, a statement which is simply not true. I am fully aware of blacked out tyres and I am fully aware that pro's using Conti Competition Tubulars actually get the pro version which are not available off the shelf, I used to run a team and we were lucky enough at the time to be sponsored by Continental and had access to the pro version.
    However, not everybody is a professional, and tens of thousands of people around the world take part in amateur road races. and quite a lot of them use GP4000sii clincher tyres and no doubt next year many will be racing on GP5000's including myself, which is why your statement is incorrct.

I'll concede on my original point I meant conti clinchers not the brand completely.

As per the final long bit - YOU yourself started with "Continental Competition tubular used by many PRO's, so not really correct" Which is it? Pros or amateurs? You flip flop between the two. Pros don't ride clinchers (with the odd exception of Tony Martin in a TT) so the point I make if clincher GP4000/5000 not really a race tyre is correct. They are a good if not the best all round tyre. This is everything from rolling resistance to puncture protection to wet grip. It's not best in any department by any means. The OP says he is using these tyres as a competition tyre. So are these the best option? No. If others choose to use them that's their prerogative. The weekend amateur racing probably has people turning up on whatever they can afford over a proper thought out race tyre, not until you get to CAT 2 maybe. So yes plenty will use GP4000/5000 but so will many be on Michelin, Schwalbe, Mavic, Bontrager etc etc etc. So it's not really a thought out process. That's not to say some don't but lots will race on what they train on and on the same rims.
  • It doesn't matter whether they are Competition pro's or not, nobody except yourself has referred to professionals.
    I think you are wrong to discredit lower than 2nd Cat (not Cat 2 by the way if you are in the UK) and quite why do you think they can't afford decent tyres because they are 3rd category riders? They are not all riding round on budget bikes you know, quite the opposite in fact.
    When I ran the team, (we were mainly a 2nd Cat team) all riders had a choice and could ride any tyre they liked but nearly to a man they chose Continental, the road riders GP4000's and the track riders various tubulars.
    I am not here to to say one tyre is better than another but your statement "Which is why they make excellent training tyres but not really what is use in competition." is simply incorrect and what the pro's ride is not really relevant.
  • OnTheRopes wrote:
    what the pro's ride is not really relevant.

LOL YOU were the one who mentioned what pros use not me dumbass.

"Continental Competition tubulars used by many pro's, so not really correct."

It was the first thing you said!! Are you really that dumb you can even remember what you wrote?
  • OnTheRopes wrote:
    what the pro's ride is not really relevant.

LOL YOU were the one who mentioned what pros use not me dumbass.

"Continental Competition tubulars used by many pro's, so not really correct."

It was the first thing you said!! Are you really that dumb you can even remember what you wrote?
    So now its a slagging off contest? I'm out