Cheap Strava Smartwatch advice needed!

aserota
aserota Posts: 56
edited January 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I'm an all season regular cyclist! My commute is 26 miles daily from North West to Central/East London and when I'm over in Ireland (partners home) I tend to get out for 3-4 hour cycles. I've been tracking journeys on and off using my OnePlus 5, Quadlock mount and Strava - which is going OK; however I want a more automated and non-phone related setup.

I'd like a Wahoo Element Bolt, but at £250ish all in it's a lot for a device which will only sit on the bike (I like to trek too). I've previously had a smartwatch which was fab, but it was a Pebble Time; so very limited in activity. Ideally I'm looking for a device which will automatically log my cycling on Strava without being told to start (ideally, but I can press start/stop as my commute has a lot of lights...). Does anyone have any recommendations for me? Budget would be up to £200, but if I can get something without HR for a lot cheap I'm game :-)

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,619
    Garmin Vivoactive HR. Usually available at a good price now that the Vivoactive 3 is out. You'd need to start and stop it at the beginning and end of your ride but you can have it set to auto pause when you stop at lights etc.
  • minnnt
    minnnt Posts: 102
    I use the Garmin Vivoactive HR for running and also the odd time on the bike if my Wahoo is on another bike.

Works well.
  • aserota
    aserota Posts: 56
    minnnt wrote:
    I use the Garmin Vivoactive HR for running and also the odd time on the bike if my Wahoo is on another bike.

Works well.

Great to hear - this is the one watch that consistably came up on reviews for use with cycling
  • zeee
    zeee Posts: 103
    Garmin forerunner 230/235 currently around £150 new. I used one for 6 months as my only cycling computer vs they're very good. Easily get a full weeks use out the battery doing 3/4 rides a week.
  • My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.