New commute bike with cyclescheme advice

fredroad
fredroad Posts: 29
edited March 2019 in Road buying advice
Hello fellow cyclists,

I’m looking to buy a new bike to commute (~14mi each way) and would like to get your experts comments. I appreciate any replies/feedback.

Currently I commute on a Giant Defy 1 2013, which has been great, however I would like a more responsive bike and with disc breaks (for the wet days).

I will be using the cyclescheme (£1000) and unfortunately my employer doesn’t allow me top up the voucher, which limits my options a lot. Preferably I would like 105 groupset, but I couldn’t find anything.

I have narrowed my search to the following bikes:

1. Giant contend sl 2 disc: The frame design is different, but I’m wondering if responsiveness will be the same as my old defy. Also Tiagra groupset
2. Cannondale Synapse Alloy Disc. How responsive is the frame? Tiagra groupset
3. Ribble R872 Disc. I couldn’t find any reviews on the doc version. It’s carbon and Tiagra groupset

Please can you suggest any other bike on the £1000 mark?

Many thanks

Comments

• lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    edited January 2019
    This?

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/boardman- ... -2019.html

Not the lightest bike in the world, but has tiagra and hydraulic disc brakes. You would only get cable disc brakes with the Ribble for the same price, although I realise you would get a carbon frame (which means you might be able to upgrade to hydro brakes in the future).
    I note the Giant is also alloy frame with hydro discs, so it's really down to which aspect you find most important - a carbon frame (which would be lighter) with cable discs, or an alloy frame with better hydro brakes.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    fredroad wrote:
    Hello fellow cyclists,

I’m looking to buy a new bike to commute (~14mi each way) and would like to get your experts comments. I appreciate any replies/feedback.

Currently I commute on a Giant Defy 1 2013, which has been great, however I would like a more responsive bike and with disc breaks (for the wet days).

I will be using the cyclescheme (£1000) and unfortunately my employer doesn’t allow me top up the voucher, which limits my options a lot. Preferably I would like 105 groupset, but I couldn’t find anything.

1. Giant contend sl 2 disc: The frame design is different, but I’m wondering if responsiveness will be the same as my old defy. Also Tiagra groupset
    3. Ribble R872 Disc. I couldn’t find any reviews on the doc version. It’s carbon and Tiagra groupset

Many thanks

What do you mean by responsive? Might help people answer/help.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Triban RC520. It has the discs and the 105 you want and you still have £280 left over to buy all the bits and pieces you need such as better tyres.

It can take a rack and guards which you may want given it's a commuting bike.

Road CC recently felt it's the best sub £1000/C2W bike around:

https://road.cc/content/feature/254218- ... ear-201819
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    fredroad wrote:
    Hello fellow cyclists,

Many thanks

What about the Ribble Endurance AL (R7000 comes in at £999). For commuting this is surely ideal. I've actually ordered one as my winter / training bike. It's due to arrive any day now. (edit, I know you want discs, apologies).
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    fredroad wrote:
    I will be using the cyclescheme (£1000) and unfortunately my employer doesn’t allow me top up the voucher, which limits my options a lot.

Most bike sellers are prepared to be flexible when it comes to cyclescheme. Top it up by however much you like and get a Cyclescheme bill for £1000.

Of course insurance value & ownership falls into a grey area, the risk is with you.
  • I note the Giant is also alloy frame with hydro discs, so it's really down to which aspect you find most important - a carbon frame (which would be lighter) with cable discs, or an alloy frame with better hydro brakes.

Thanks LakesLuddite, would you know how if hydro brakes are much better than cables? I dont really mind carbon/alloy if not too heavy.
  • joey54321 wrote:

Hi joey54321, the Defy is very comfortable, but feels a bit slow and soft ride. Does it make sense? I guess, I would like a stiffer frame with an endurance profile.

Thanks,
  • Joe Totale wrote:
    Triban RC520. It has the discs and the 105 you want and you still have £280 left over to buy all the bits and pieces you need such as better tyres.

I will try check it out. Thanks.
  • What about the Ribble Endurance AL (R7000 comes in at £999). For commuting this is surely ideal. I've actually ordered one as my winter / training bike. It's due to arrive any day now. (edit, I know you want discs, apologies).

It looks great, but unfortunately I need the disc for the wet days.
  • craker wrote:
    Of course insurance value & ownership falls into a grey area, the risk is with you.

Thanks craker, I checked the T&Cs and one of the conditions with my employer is no top up. Super frustrating.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    fredroad wrote:
    craker wrote:

Thanks craker, I checked the T&Cs and one of the conditions with my employer is no top up. Super frustrating.

Can you use the voucher to buy just the frame/groupset/wheels and use your own money to buy what you are missing?
  • minnnt
    minnnt Posts: 102
    https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... ogId=10151

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/ ... nture-bike

A couple here from Boardman. I have their Team CX which I picked up second hand. It’s an absolute belter of a bike. The 1x11 gearing is brilliant on the commute and Sunday ride in the Peak District alike. If you require a medium frame then they still have them in stock I believe and they’re currently £800. Also, if you’re a member of BC then some stores may allow you to use this too.

How would your employer know you added some money into the deal? Do they need to see a receipt? Ribble allow you to use the voucher and pay any difference yourself.
  • joey54321 wrote:
    Can you use the voucher to buy just the frame/groupset/wheels and use your own money to buy what you are missing?

Yes, I think I can use the voucher for frameset and parts. Can you recommend a good frame?

Thanks
  • minnnt wrote:
    How would your employer know you added some money into the deal? Do they need to see a receipt? Ribble allow you to use the voucher and pay any difference yourself.

The company owns the bike until the loan amount is paid back. I guess they will see a receipt from the shop/cyclescheme.

I will check those bikes. How is the Sram apex? I like the idea of 1x11.

Thanks.
  • minnnt
    minnnt Posts: 102
    Yeah I know they own it but AFAIK I don’t think a receipt is given to your employer. Once the voucher is issued they don’t usually give a monkeys.

My bike has Sram Rival 1x but Apex is essentially the same. I find it to be superb.

I’m holding out for the Ribble R872 Disc 105 model which is £1200. My voucher is also limited to £1000 so plan on adding the extra £200 myself. The bike isn’t available until March/April anyway.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    Planet X have the London Road in both SRAM Rival 22 and 1x11 for £900
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRI ... -road-bike
  • paulbnix wrote:
    Planet X have the London Road in both SRAM Rival 22 and 1x11 for £900
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRI ... -road-bike
    Thanks. I will check it out.
  • minnnt wrote:
    Once the voucher is issued they don’t usually give a monkeys.

My bike has Sram Rival 1x but Apex is essentially the same. I find it to be superb.

I’m holding out for the Ribble R872 Disc 105 model which is £1200.

It the only T&C that’s highlighted and bold. Super annoying.

That’s the one I would go for. The R872 Disc with 105, but only the one with tiagra is in the voucher price.

Thanks.
  • ravit50
    ravit50 Posts: 19
    I’m in exactly the same situation. I’m getting the Triban RC 520 I believe it offers the best bang for buck plus it leaves some extra money to purchase all the accessories I need. Check out the reviews of it online.
  • ravit50 wrote:
    I’m in exactly the same situation. I’m getting the Triban RC 520 I believe it offers the best bang for buck plus it leaves some extra money to purchase all the accessories I need. Check out the reviews of it online.

It’s pretty good with value with Shimano 105 R7000 groupset. Unfortunately none in London to check.

Please post your comments here once you have the bike.
  • Klaus B
    Klaus B Posts: 63
    IMO it's a no brainer. If I'm in you I would go for the Ribble 872 disc tiagra. I commuted myself with different frame materials around Manchester and my next fast commute bike is gonna be a carbon disc road bike with full mudguards and a decently steep head angle to give the bike agility. And same as you I don't have lots of money to invest in it, so the Ribble for the moment will be my best choice. Don't worry much about mechanical discs as they work better than cheap road calipers (especially long reach caliper that are the go for if you use full length guards). Carbon bikes are so much more comfortable than aluminium ones. Almost all of them lack in rack mounts for the panniers, but I would use bikepacking kit instead with some eli tape to protect the frame from rubbings. Thanks actually to show me this bike that I never thought at as my next bike!
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    fredroad wrote:
    joey54321 wrote:

Hi joey54321, the Defy is very comfortable, but feels a bit slow and soft ride. Does it make sense? I guess, I would like a stiffer frame with an endurance profile.

Thanks,

I have a 2013 defy as my winter wet bike. I think you will find the sluggishness comes from the wheels - I switched out the wheels after a bump - still only put budget khamsins on - what a difference.

The decathlon looks a steal for the money - but the contend is the new defy alu only.
  • fredroad
    Klaus B wrote:
    IMO it's a no brainer. If I'm in you I would go for the Ribble 872 disc tiagra. I commuted myself with different frame materials around Manchester and my next fast commute bike is gonna be a carbon disc road bike with full mudguards and a decently steep head angle to give the bike agility. And same as you I don't have lots of money to invest in it, so the Ribble for the moment will be my best choice. Don't worry much about mechanical discs as they work better than cheap road calipers (especially long reach caliper that are the go for if you use full length guards). Carbon bikes are so much more comfortable than aluminium ones. Almost all of them lack in rack mounts for the panniers, but I would use bikepacking kit instead with some eli tape to protect the frame from rubbings. Thanks actually to show me this bike that I never thought at as my next bike!
    What is your commute bike? I still haven’t decided.
  • fredroad
    kingrollo wrote:
    fredroad wrote:
    joey54321 wrote:

Hi joey54321, the Defy is very comfortable, but feels a bit slow and soft ride. Does it make serious nse? I guess, I would like a stiffer frame with an endurance profile.

Thanks,

I have a 2013 defy as my winter wet bike. I think you will find the sluggishness comes from the wheels - I switched out the wheels after a bump - still only put budget khamsins on - what a difference.

The decathlon looks a steal for the money - but the contend is the new defy alu only.
    I have fulcrum racing 5 on my defy and it still feels sluggish.

The defy advanced is carbon but way out of my price range.
  • Klaus B
    fredroad wrote:
    Klaus B wrote:
    What is your commute bike? I still haven’t decided.

At the moment I'm riding a disaster of a bike.. but I live at 1 mile from work now, and the bike is a staff bike, so free. I used to commute 16 miles a day in total using steel touring bikes (thorn club tour and Dawes galaxy) with 25mm tires. I commute with aluminium road bike (a couple of btwin Triban 520 rim brake) a couple of carbon road bikes ( btwin Triban 560 CF rim brakes and a giant tcr advanced 3 tiagra rim brakes and a trek emonda tiagra rim brakes) and various MTB staff bikes. I would have kept the carbon ones but the lack of full mudguards mounts push me selling them one after the other.. and the only road bikes with full guards mounts were the aluminium ones with crap long reach rim brake calipers. Carbon is a lot more comfy mate. Go carbon and disc and full mudguards. That's the recepy for a fast all year round long commuting in UK. For me at least
  • Klaus B
    I push you on full length guards 'cause the last thing I wanted to do was having to do maintenance in the front derailleur and in my case rim brake calipers (going disc you don't have this problem even without guards). A nice set of guards protect will protect your feet, bottom bracket and front derailleur nicely.
  • Klaus B
    I had that I've commute with a trek 520 disc drop bar touring bike (steel frame and fork 13kilos ish) and those rides have been actually a revelation. The combination of wide tires (32mm in that case) and pretty decent mechanical disc brakes (hayes cx expert I think) drove me to change my mind and now I want disc and big tires (28 or 32) for my next fast commute bike, to cope with the weather and poor road conditions.
    As far as my researches have gone I couldn't find any other road bike with the specs that I've mentioned (racy geometry, discs with tru-axle, and full-guards mounts) apart of the kinesis 4s disc but at 750£ frame only is too much for me, and it's made of aluminium too. This ribble that you talked about fit the bill for what I want.
    Shame that you can't get the 105 with hydraulics though...
  • Klaus B
    Another option I would say it's the carbon full mudguards compatible Dolan dual but it comes with traditional brakes only (and they are the low performance long reach version) so no disc yet for them.. not yet but considering that this bike has been out for a while and it's started to come discounted from their website, fingers crossed that a new model is due to come and hopefully with discs. Hope that they're keeping its racy geometry if the make any substitute..