What helmet do you wear for commuting

jack9266
jack9266 Posts: 12
edited January 2019 in Commuting chat
Hey, i have just started commuting to work on my bike and was just wondering what helmet people wear if any!, as i need something which is light but also storable in a bag which does not take to much space up!

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    How far is your commute ? How hard do you ride ? Plenty of cheap helmets out there that pass the tests.

I save my expensive helmet for the weekend and have a hard shell £20 jobbie that can take being knocked as I carry it into the office.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,164
    Giro hex. Has an adjustable visor and lots of holes for attaching lights. It's not that small though.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    One that fits your head.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • How about one from Planet X for the princely sum of £13
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/clothing/helmets
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • cougie wrote:
    How far is your commute ? How hard do you ride ? Plenty of cheap helmets out there that pass the tests.

I save my expensive helmet for the weekend and have a hard shell £20 jobbie that can take being knocked as I carry it into the office.

sounds appropriate!, i commute about 40 minutes a day, but i also do bike with my more expensive gear over weekend, just wondering if there is any helmets which could be folded i know commuters in London have some, but cant think of what companies do them?
  • cougie
    Carrera foldable. Not that foldable but a bit sleeker.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... wUQgTYI_QU
  • cougie wrote:
    Carrera foldable. Not that foldable but a bit sleeker.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... wUQgTYI_QU

Looking through folding helmets just via google- one caught my eye called Hedkayse, they say their helmet is multi impact and can be re-used if you crash, what do you reckon?
  • cooldad
    £150 and delivery maybe in April? How many times are you intending to land on your head?

Looks a bit sh1t to me.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    £150 and delivery maybe in April? How many times are you intending to land on your head?

Looks a bit sh1t to me.

Hopefully not crash at all but i guess some people would pay good money to get the best if its your life...
  • cooldad wrote:

Looks a bit sh1t to me.

Looking at it now.. i think it does not look too bad, why do you think it looks crap?
  • cooldad
    Why do you assume it's the best?

You can get a good helmet for £20-£30, without a big swadge of velcro on the back.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:

You can get a good helmet for £20-£30, without a big swadge of velcro on the back.

Not assuming it is the best... its not on the market yet by the look of it, i guess they may have done that so its a helmet that fits all?
  • cooldad
    No they did that so it will fold a bit.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    jack9266 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Not assuming it is the best... its not on the market yet by the look of it, i guess they may have done that so its a helmet that fits all?
    jack9266 wrote:
    Hopefully not crash at all but i guess some people would pay good money to get the best if its your life...

Then it's a hell of a lot of money for non existant helmet that isn't the best.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Then it's a hell of a lot of money for non existant helmet that isn't the best.[/quote]

How do you know its not the best?
  • cooldad
    Make your mind up. You are the one mentioning best.

How the hell should I know? No one has one, as they aren't for sale.

IMHO it looks like a load of sh1t. Your opinion might differ. It's your money after all.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Make your mind up. You are the one mentioning best.

How the hell should I know? No one has one, as they aren't for sale.

IMHO it looks like a load of sh1t. Your opinion might differ. It's your money after all.

dont knock it till you try it - i guess this goes to me as well
  • cougie
    How much crashing are you planning to do ? You can pick up a helmet for £20. Spending 7 time's more is not going to make it seven times safer.
  • cougie wrote:
    How much crashing are you planning to do ? You can pick up a helmet for £20. Spending 7 time's more is not going to make it seven times safer.

hopefully none! just looking around to see if a multi impact helmet is out there when if i do crash (hope not), i dont have to go pay for another helmet so i can wear it again - as it is recommended when you crash to replace it
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    jack9266 wrote:
    cougie wrote:

hopefully none! just looking around to see if a multi impact helmet is out there when if i do crash (hope not), i dont have to go pay for another helmet so i can wear it again - as it is recommended when you crash to replace it
    Spending 7 times as much on a helmet that's designed to take multiple impacts is a bit like buying titanium crockery, just so that you don't have to replace a plate if you drop it.

If you're that worried, just buy 2 cheap helmets and save yourself £100.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Buy a really cheap helmet (the Planet X one for £13 is actually pretty good) and then lock it up with your bike. If it ends up getting kicked in by some local scrote, buy another. A folding helmet sounds like a solution looking for a problem. Not surprised it hasn't gone into production, hopefully whoever is doing market research will figure out its a non-starter and won't waste anymore of their time, or others time more to the point!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    A lot of regular crash helmet manufacturers have discounted crash replacement schemes

https://off.road.cc/content/feature/whe ... elmet-1280
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    elbowloh wrote:
    A lot of regular crash helmet manufacturers have discounted crash replacement schemes
    In my experience, crash replacement schemes often just take you down to the price you could get by shopping around.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • cougie
    Apart from the helmet that nobody's seen yet I don't know about any helmets not needing replacement.

But seriously just get a cheaper one.
  • Helmet from Lidl or Aldi are usually where I go for. Or even Decathlon. I've had a few from them over the years. Current one is from Lidl or Aldi for like £15 I think? and it's been nearly three years with no parts falling apart.

However, I've been fortunate enough so far not testing their true performance under impact on head. So who knows.
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Very cold this morning, so helmet worn was a a woolly hat, as ordinary helmet does not give me enough protection from the cold, and it's not big enough to fit over my woolly hat. No point getting too precious about these things.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • Rhodrich wrote:
    Very cold this morning, so helmet worn was a a woolly hat, as ordinary helmet does not give me enough protection from the cold, and it's not big enough to fit over my woolly hat. No point getting too precious about these things.

You want a Belgian cap. Decathlon do them cheap else plenty of other brands do them. Will fit under your helmet like a normal cap but will also cover your ears.

Plus it's Belgian, which means you'll look hard.
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Rhodrich wrote:

You want a Belgian cap. Decathlon do them cheap else plenty of other brands do them. Will fit under your helmet like a normal cap but will also cover your ears.

Funnily enough, my woolly hat is a Belgian cap. Still doesn't fit comfortably under a helmet though. If I do squeeze it in there, I find I overheat massively, and end up with a headache.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    When i first started cycling more seriously a few years ago I went into a bike shop and said i was looking for a hat, like a beanie that i could wear under my helmet. The guy in the shop looked down his nose at me and kind of sneered "we call them skull caps".

I didn't buy anything and never returned to that shop again.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Rhodrich wrote:
    Rhodrich wrote:

Funnily enough, my woolly hat is a Belgian cap. Still doesn't fit comfortably under a helmet though. If I do squeeze it in there, I find I overheat massively, and end up with a headache.
    My endura one is like that but the decathlon one fits fine, basically it's thinner