Forum home Road cycling forum Tours, routes, audaxes & organised rides Tour & expedition

Self Supported Munro Round Cycle Tour?

alexfthealexfthe Posts: 83
edited January 2019 in Tour & expedition
Any Cyclists PLUS Munro Baggers on here have any thoughts on the above?

I know there is an actual documented record for a 'Continuous Self Propelled Munro Round' where fell runners walk/run/cycle/kayak the whole journey with a support team and vehicle (I think the current record is 39 days). That's great and an amazing feat, but I don't have the fitness to challenge them even if I wanted to. What's more my style is to do it self-supported (except for making use of commercial ferries - kayaking isn't a priority for me in this dream). Even then I don't anticipate being fit enough to log any kind of significant record - it would really just be about the personal sense of accomplishment.

Compared to the 'self-propelled' method, the biggest challenge I can see (other than carrying all my own gear) is that on a supported tour you can through-hike a ridge and have your team meet you at the other side with your bike, where I'd have to make all walks into return-to-start routes in order to rejoin my steed. I haven't started looking seriously at route maps, but I expect this should add on a fair bit of time/mileage.

Part of the fun for me would be about picking out the right bike setup. I don't think I could manage a journey of that scale with the minimalism required for bikepacking, so it's probably a full pannier touring rig kind of adventure. BUT with a set of flared drop bars and the right wheel/tyre combination I bet I could do a bit of light gravel approach riding on my Dawes Galaxy Plus, particularly in situations where I've already offloaded most or all of the luggage. That strategising equipment choice bit seems especially exciting to me.

I think I'm probably at least two years out from even being able to seriously consider an endeavour of this scale, but it definitely fits my experience. Have done the WHW and GGW a couple times on MTB. My first big road tour was the NC500 a couple years ago, and I'm relatively new to hillwalking but enjoying it (and also a fairly experienced walker in general). The idea for this tour only came to me today, but I think the groundwork was laid when I did the long route on the Mull Sportive last summer and then felt I still had some energy and daylight left so I went and climbed Ben More in the afternoon.

I won't flood my post with links, but here's one indicative of the kind of stuff I've found whilst googling: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/ ... o_run-3467 Also lots of reading on the UKC forum.

Anyone know of someone attempting something like this? Any thoughts on route/gear/etc? I suspect I'll leave and revisit this thread several times over a long while if I'm actually going to do this, but initial thoughts would be much appreciated at this stage!

Cheers!
2020 Ribble CGR SL
2019 Vitus Vitesse Evo CRS Disc
2019 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE Disc
2017 Dawes Galaxy Plus
2014 Boardman MTB Pro 29er HT