Tires for 90% roads and also 10% gravel

lukasamdvLJ27cA7
lukasamdvLJ27cA7 Posts: 51
edited January 2019 in Road general
Hello, I'm looking for tires for my CX/road/gravel bike (something like 3in1, yep).
I ride 90% of time on roads, also sometimes starts on road races.
Sometimes also on gravel, forests roads, but it isn't nothing special, without mud etc.

I've already rode on Continental 4000S II 700x28c - light, fast, but not good for gravel.
I also rode on Gravelking SK 700x35c - very good on gravel, but I think too slow for road, road races.

So, I looking for someting between these. Which tires will the best? I done some search and interested in:
​​​​​​​
- Gravelking (non-SK) in 30c or 32c - should be faster on road, but still nice on gravel
- Specialized Roubaix Pro 30/32 - its for roads, but some poeple also use on gravel
- new Continental 5000 32c? But it's still full slick

BTW. I'm not interested in Schwalbe G-One tires - beacuse of quick wear. 

Comments

• peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Of the 3, I'd go with the Gravelkings.

Very capable tyre. I too had the SK for a while and also found it too draggy on the road, wiping out any gains i had made off road. The non SK performs very well off road and is hardly any slower on tarmac than a GP4000

I'm running the Roubaix Pro for the winter. It seems 'OK', but is noticeably heavier, comes up massive (32c comes up 34.8 on my rims...) and less composed on wet tarmac. I haven't dared take it off road - too muddy at the mo.

For reference, I'll be tossing up between GP5000's & Gravelkings again for my spring to autumn rubber. I'm leaning towards the GK's because of the added versatility for almost no cost.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    I've had my Roubaix Pros on some light off road and gravel without any problems. Find them good on the road too. Pretty much perfect 4 seasons tyres for the UK IMO.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Just in case you are interested, the tubeless version of the Roubaix is on Sigma for £27, seems a lot cheaper than the alternatives if tubeless is what you are after. I currently have Gravel King SKs but I treat my CdF as a mountain bike at the moment, I have done some road training stuff on it and the extra tyre width and tubeless definitely helps for night time pothole smashing...
  • I'm running the roubaix 32 tubeless on a .. well roubaix of course! Not much clearance but very inspiring on road so far. Fine on gravel, and if you're mostly on tarmac it makes sense to compromise on the off road stuff.
    Summer soon and it'll be a toss up between gp5000 and pirelli cinturato. Looking forward to seeing the long term test on this site.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I picked up some WTB Exposure 32mm tubeless tyres recently. Very impressed with them, used mainly on road with some bridleway excursions thrown in. Smooth running centre file tread, with small "knobbles" on the shoulders. Great compromise, with ability to run at lower pressures off road.
    WTB-Exposure-TCS-Road-Tyre-Cyclocross-Tyres-Black-Not-Set-W010-06.jpg
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...