2»

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    You need to buy one of these also:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycliq-universal-adaptor/

Or

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/k-edge-combo-m ... igodigital

I should have read the Q&A section, as a member of wiggle staff points out you need to buy the adapter also, in response to a question.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pazzar
    pazzar Posts: 25
    Ive got the same life line mount my garmin 820 fits on top and the Cycliq Fly 12 goes underneath,no adaptor is required.

I do have the original Fly 12 though if that makes any difference.
  • kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    Ah, ok looks like the current CE version doesn't us the standard gopro type mount
  • elbowloh
    Which is pretty much what i've been saying! ;-)
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    elbowloh wrote:
    Which is pretty much what i've been saying! ;-)

Im not sure Im following this properly, my FLY12 CE definitely came with one of these https://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycliq-universal-adaptor/

so I could use the Kedge mount I had been using with my Go-pro straight away, the only difference is the cycliq lugs are slightly thinner than those found on the Go-pro, so Ive had to add some washers to help add that extra grip to stop the camera moving when I hit a bump, and Ive actually modified the mount so the camera now sits on top as cabling was blocking a clear view and it seemed to be distracting focus on the videos themselves
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Thought I'd stick a summary in here after a few weeks of running the Drift Ghost X rather than starting up another camera thread as I've pointed a few people this way recently.

Helmet (Drift Ghost X) http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2018/10/25 ... amera.html
    (you can buy from Drift direct with a 10% discount code for £112)
    Rear - Aldi Knock-off fly6 from 2017.
    Handlbar - Kitvision Escape 5W Gopro clone I got for a tenner.

Of mine, the Drift Ghost X has the best quality image by far, but I dislike the 140* FOV after being used to the 180* FOV from the Shimano CM-1000 it replaces. It's got the bonus of being able to use 128GB cards, unlike most clones on the market, and I absolutely love the 5 hour battery life off 1 charge. The encoding is also significantly better than the Shimano, so I get more video in less storage space, for no loss in quality ( even in High Quality recording mode). I like having my handlebars in view to give a direct comparision of distance, and the police prefer to have a reference point, so I've had to point the camera down a little meaning I don't get much "forward vision" as I'd like, however helmet mount means that I can get the stuff to the sides ( side swipes etc) that happens between the front & rear cameras, and shows I'm looking around.

Which leads onto the handlebar mounted camera: it's useful for longer distance up road forward views, which the helmet camera doesn't capture, and provides a good clear view of reg #s. With the kitvision, the colour reference are, but the low light mode is good enough with a good front light, and again provides a point of reference with the wheel in shot, but with only 80mins battery life it's a nightly recharge, but with generic replaceable batteries means I can get dirt cheap batteries if I want to go longer rides etc.

Rear camera - it does the job, significantly helped with a co-located rear beam, but can be blinded by front lights of car's behind.

FWIW, have a look at the basic review of 2 4k clones over on road.cc - https://road.cc/content/review/257320-k ... ion-camera.

yes, I'm now running with £180 of cameras, but it's still cheaper than a single go-pro or Fly12 and provides almost 360* coverage, and I'd like to try the Ghost Drift 4k as an upgrade to the helmet cam, but I'm not paying £300 for that privilege.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • elbowloh
    Just a note, I got the Cycliq Fly12 CE on the cycle2work scheme (Cycle Republic) as it's classified as a light rather than an action camera...

So, if you did want to splash out and spread the cost out, this is an option.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Broono83
    Broono83 Posts: 75
    Thanks for that review Wolfsbane, definitely getting a ghost x when I get the go ahead to get back on the bike!

Good tip about the cyclic on C2W too tho.

Battery life is key to me, charge once a week rather than once a day given my commute length of 10 miles each way.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    I'm generally happy with the Fly12 CE I've had for a year. It's a bit pricy but as far as light/camera combos go, there doesn't seem anything better. The advantage for me is that it's one fewer thing to remove when going to the shops and the mounting/dismounting is very quick and easy. Also, it replaces a helmet-cam that - post-Schumacher - really worried me. The USB-C cabling is convenient and the quality of the images is good enough; if the light is on, it really helps with getting legible pictures of plates at night, since the light and camera are of course aligned.

As a light, I wish it had a really low-power blink mode to save power. The handlebar mount is also fragile and stupidly expensive to buy; like a few others, mine broke and after a week of tooing and froing with Cycliq, they sent me a free replacement. Finally, the battery life is shorter than I would like, currently about 3 hours without using a light. It's enough for both ways on the commute, but more would be welcome!

In the end, I think I'd buy it again.
  • mccltd
    mccltd Posts: 6
    Ive also got the fly 12ce but on my 2nd one now.
    So unreliable, many a times have I gone to watch a video back and half my ride is missing.
    The replacement was to try and solve this issue, even tried numerous sd cards.
    Went out for 3 hours yesterday with friends and all came back to mine to watch the fun in the woods and guess what 1st hour was fine then nothing recorded afterwards, so glad there was no incident.
    Great concept but in reality I wouldn't buy another.
  • wolfsbane2k
    mccltd wrote:
    Ive also got the fly 12ce but on my 2nd one now.
    So unreliable, many a times have I gone to watch a video back and half my ride is missing.
    The replacement was to try and solve this issue, even tried numerous sd cards.
    Went out for 3 hours yesterday with friends and all came back to mine to watch the fun in the woods and guess what 1st hour was fine then nothing recorded afterwards, so glad there was no incident.
    Great concept but in reality I wouldn't buy another.

cheers for that feedback - was looking at it as an alternative to the aldi/maktech one that's met an uncomely death on Friday - that was pretty rock solid, if the 6ce's that bad, especially given the price, I won't jump that way .
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Thought I'd stick a summary in here after a few weeks of running the Drift Ghost X rather than starting up another camera thread as I've pointed a few people this way recently.

Of mine, the Drift Ghost X has the best quality image by far, but I dislike the 140* FOV after being used to the 180* FOV from the Shimano CM-1000 it replaces. It's got the bonus of being able to use 128GB cards, unlike most clones on the market, and I absolutely love the 5 hour battery life off 1 charge. The encoding is also significantly better than the Shimano, so I get more video in less storage space, for no loss in quality ( even in High Quality recording mode). I like having my handlebars in view to give a direct comparision of distance, and the police prefer to have a reference point, so I've had to point the camera down a little meaning I don't get much "forward vision" as I'd like, however helmet mount means that I can get the stuff to the sides ( side swipes etc) that happens between the front & rear cameras, and shows I'm looking around.

Which leads onto the handlebar mounted camera: it's useful for longer distance up road forward views, which the helmet camera doesn't capture, and provides a good clear view of reg #s. With the kitvision, the colour reference are, but the low light mode is good enough with a good front light, and again provides a point of reference with the wheel in shot, but with only 80mins battery life it's a nightly recharge, but with generic replaceable batteries means I can get dirt cheap batteries if I want to go longer rides etc.

Rear camera - it does the job, significantly helped with a co-located rear beam, but can be blinded by front lights of car's behind.

FWIW, have a look at the basic review of 2 4k clones over on road.cc - https://road.cc/content/review/257320-k ... ion-camera.

yes, I'm now running with £180 of cameras, but it's still cheaper than a single go-pro or Fly12 and provides almost 360* coverage, and I'd like to try the Ghost Drift 4k as an upgrade to the helmet cam, but I'm not paying £300 for that privilege.

Thought I'd stick a summary in here after a few weeks of running the Drift Ghost X rather than starting up another camera thread as I've pointed a few people this way recently.

Hi,

Finally got the ghost xl, are you using the official helmet mount or something else? Any issues.

Still deciding on handlebar or helmet mounting but the official handlebar mount looks really ugly!
  • wolfsbane2k

Hi,

Finally got the ghost xl, are you using the official helmet mount or something else? Any issues.

Still deciding on handlebar or helmet mounting but the official handlebar mount looks really ugly!

Hey. I'm using the goggle mount with straps on my helmet, rather than glue one of their mounts to the helmet as where i wanted to put it is right over a vent in the helmet. It took me a while to get the sweet spot right to cover handlebars , hands etc.

The handlebar mount is, indeed, fugly.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Just thought i'd update this after scribbling it for a friend who asked:

Now got a Ghost X for helmet, Cycliq Fly 12 CE for front, and using the escape 5W on the rear.

I've found it's essential to keep all three operational, as the ghost gives clear cut evidence of closeness to handlebars, but in doing so means it can't do "longer looking forward", stuff, as the 140* FOV and my riding position means it only covers somewhere between 5 and 6m ahead of me; not enough when travelling at 30mph and some twunt pulls out of a side junction in front of you, and slamming on the brakes and going sideways as you skid to try and avoid them means their vehicle isn't actually on camera....
    The rear, well; tailgaters, 'nuff said I think.

Yep. Now at £500 of cameras /mounts and £100 of Micro SD cards on monthly rotation just cos I want to get to work in 1 piece by bicycle.
  • rp.
    rp. Posts: 3
    @wolfsbane2k - Your comments make interesting reading. I too have been using the Fly12 and 6CE cameras for my daily UK commuting. I have found that the two regional Police forces that cover the 20-mile stretch of road that I ride through are more than happy to accept video evidence of near-misses when I export the video with the safety tramlines displayed. What responses have you received when you have tried this? https://cycliq.com/support/cycliqplus/getting-started/safety-tramlines/
  • wolfsbane2k
    edited October 2021
    rp. said:

@wolfsbane2k - Your comments make interesting reading. I too have been using the Fly12 and 6CE cameras for my daily UK commuting. I have found that the two regional Police forces that cover the 20-mile stretch of road that I ride through are more than happy to accept video evidence of near-misses when I export the video with the safety tramlines displayed. What responses have you received when you have tried this? https://cycliq.com/support/cycliqplus/getting-started/safety-tramlines/

Hey @rp. I've previously been told not to use the tramlines as it's seen as "modification of the video after it's been recorded", as I seem to recall that the tramlines are actually added when exported via the Cycliq SW, rather than "on the fly in the camera".

However, to be honest the 5W racing rearwards on the drops does enough to set the scene; having my knee in view gives a clear reference point: this idiot hit my elbow with his wingmirror as he passed at 30+mph..

Sadly, that idiot is also the reason i don't cycle to work any more.