Rides Around Llangollen

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited January 2019 in Routes
Hi All.

Anyone have any tips for a ride around the Llangollen area, my son is at One Giant Leap for the day so be nice for me to have a spin round.

Comments

• am I too late? What riding do you want to do, road/offroad, distance/time?
  • iwilldoit
    Hi
    Not to late, a bit of an xc sort of thing bridleways, tracks don't mind a bit of tarmac here and there, just a bit of a loop to kill a few hours, while my son is at One Giant Leap, now that's to much for me :D
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,153
    There's loads of stuff around there. If you want to ride from Llangollen, just head up to the top road behind OGL then come down something, repeat. There's at least 4 ways down around there, either ride up Ally y Gwernant (steep road) or 3 trees (doubletrack byway, SJ238408).
    Allt y Badi is a great, technical descent.
    You can drop down into the ceiriog valley, there's a (mostly) signposted MTB ride around there, might be a bit muddy with the rain/snow this week. The flattyres routes cover a lot of these.

Or ride from Llangollen up past world's end (road) to the bridleway over the Moors into Llandegla forest, come back the same way. Don't fall off on the ice/slime at the ford :mrgreen:

Up and down the wayfarer pass is a nice ride (mostly doubletrack) but it's often flooded.

If you're doing a big loop including the canal, be aware the pontcysyllte aqueduct is closed at the moment. You have to go down then up the road.
  • iwilldoit
    There's loads of stuff around there. If you want to ride from Llangollen, just head up to the top road behind OGL then come down something, repeat. There's at least 4 ways down around there, either ride up Ally y Gwernant (steep road) or 3 trees (doubletrack byway, SJ238408).
    Allt y Badi is a great, technical descent.
    You can drop down into the ceiriog valley, there's a (mostly) signposted MTB ride around there, might be a bit muddy with the rain/snow this week. The flattyres routes cover a lot of these.

Or ride from Llangollen up past world's end (road) to the bridleway over the Moors into Llandegla forest, come back the same way. Don't fall off on the ice/slime at the ford :mrgreen:

Up and down the wayfarer pass is a nice ride (mostly doubletrack) but it's often flooded.

If you're doing a big loop including the canal, be aware the pontcysyllte aqueduct is closed at the moment. You have to go down then up the road.

Thank you very much for that, Martin has called the up lift off so I will have to wait for another day :(