Low cost mobile phone plan for Bike mobile

se99paj
se99paj Posts: 22
edited January 2019 in Road buying advice
I'm hoping there are a few people here with a similar query to myself.

I have an old phone that I would like to use just for my bike, I'll use the phone for Strava, Google Maps, maybe phone calls in case of emergency. This way I can leave my significantly more expensive phone at home.

But does anyone have any suggestions for a Sim only plan that I could use?

Most of the PAYG plans I've found seem to have monthly expiry, I was hoping to buy a bundle for a few quid then just top-up as/when I need to.

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    There are others - but I'd look at GiffGaff - you can just use credit - or buy a plan that lasts for a month - no tie ins - helpful if you're an occasional user and you know you'll want extra for a specific time - eg I up my bundle to "loadsmoregigabites" when I'm off on holiday ... then drop it to normal for the next renewal - because most of the time I'm on wifi - so don't need loadsadata.
  • Three 3-2-1 sim (3p/min phone, 2p text, 1p per MB(?) interweb browsing), PAYG. buy a £10 topup, use it something like once every six months to keep the topup valid.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I use the Three payg sim also. Still on first £5 top up 2 years later
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Do you mean you'll use this on your bike, so attached to the handlebars etc?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've always had my phone with me. Never broken it yet.
    A ziplock bag to keep the rain out or a dedicated pouch for it works fine. Just put it in your back pocket.
    All my cycling pals do the same. No problems at all.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Slowbike wrote:
    There are others - but I'd look at GiffGaff - you can just use credit - or buy a plan that lasts for a month - no tie ins - helpful if you're an occasional user and you know you'll want extra for a specific time - eg I up my bundle to "loadsmoregigabites" when I'm off on holiday ... then drop it to normal for the next renewal - because most of the time I'm on wifi - so don't need loadsadata.

Giffgaff is perfect for this. Effortlessly flexible and as reliable as the O2 network allows. We have a house 'spare' phone on giffgaff as is one of the kids' and its excellent.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    ^ This
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Giff gaff or asda payg mobile. Which ever one has best coverage in your area.