Disposing of dead kit

mm1
mm1 Posts: 1,063
edited January 2019 in Road buying advice
Not really a buying advice question, but I'm pondering what to do with dead clothing. Not really something that could go in the clothes bank, but are the synthetic materials in cycle clothing recyclable or is anything that's non longer wearable destined for landfill?

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Upcycle it into trendy cushions?
    https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/6455718 ... ve_4&frs=1

Or bin it safe in the knowledge that through your human propulsion versus using the car its already saved loads of energy.
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    The jersey and fabrics make good cleaning rags. Beyond that point you've probably done your bit..
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    mm1 wrote:
    Not really a buying advice question, but I'm pondering what to do with dead clothing. Not really something that could go in the clothes bank, but are the synthetic materials in cycle clothing recyclable or is anything that's non longer wearable destined for landfill?

'Dead' in what sense? If it's damaged, maybe repair it. If it's still wearable, then donate it or ebay it. Otherwise, a lot of recycling centres will now take textiles...
  • staffo
    staffo Posts: 82
    H&M will take any clothing no matter the condition for recycling.
  • Try the Classifieds on here, I've seen loads of stuff for sale in worse condition than stuff I've binned
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • I normally give them a last life as rags to clean the drivetrain, after which it is landfill
    left the forum March 2023
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I think the clothes that get put into clothing banks that are not fit for use are still useful - I'm sure the material gets reused.
  • If you sell them on here, please make sure you clean the pad in the shorts properly; I beleve someone make have sent out a claggy pair in the past.
  • Buy a sewing machine and make new from old.
    Like this:
    2018-06-18-santini-la-vie-claire-wonder-look-retro-cycling-jersey-0_2000x.jpg?v=1528965929
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    How dare you insult the La Vie Claire kit!!!!!!!!!!!