Carbon seat post

Vizzage
Vizzage Posts: 32
edited January 2019 in Road general
Is it a waste of ten quid to replace my alloy pole with a carbon fibre one? Seems like an inexpensive upgrade but I don’t really know.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    How much seat post do you have showing ?

Ten quid does seem incredibly cheap for any seatpost though.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    £10 for a carbon seat post does not add up to me, plus IME you would not notice any difference.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    £10 :shock:

Second hand is it?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • If you have an Alu frame and narrow tyres Id say it would make a difference, assuming it's any good.
  • Vizzage
    Actually it was £14. they’re all over ebay, from China et al.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not worth it - and you wouldn't notice any difference anyway...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    There's loads of stuff from China I'd take a punt on, but carbon bars and seatposts, probably not. Especially not if they are only £14 delivered...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Especially as it will probably explode, and your backside will be in very close proximity.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd probably not go cheap carbon. That said I've had CF posts in my bikes for years with no problems. But bought from shops or standard with the bike so they're reputable.
  • I replaced the alloy one on my Cube with a Selcof carbon job from PX, cost me ~£55 last summer, think it's helped... Especially on longer duration outdoor rides of ~3+ hours.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    don't do it, if the carbon doesn't fail, the part where it's bonded to the seat clamp almost certainly will, I once unwittingly bought one off a friend of a friend an FSA version thinking it was genuine. Plus it won't make any difference to the downward force you put on it from a comfort point of view, saddle, tyres and frame will do all of that, weight wise probably nothing in it. Save your tenner.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Imposter wrote:
    Not worth it - and you wouldn't notice any difference anyway...
    Agree. Carbon posts make zero difference and cheap ones are often heavier than alloy anyway.
  • I call troll post, says £10 sound like an expensive upgrade but I don't really know? Yeah right!
  • Vizzage
    Hi, I said INEXPENSIVE, not EXPENSIVE. I don’t know what ‘troll post’ means, please enlighten.

Thanks everyone else for your input.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    If it were me I wouldn't risk it. It's probably fine, but I suspect NHS waiting rooms are full of 'It'll probably be fine'.

If you really want a CF seatpost, I have found one or two from UK sellers that were around £30-£40, eg:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tif ... 79186?mx=a
  • I bought the Fizik Cyrano 00 for a bargain recently.

I think they make a difference if you have either a 31.6mm seat post or an Alu frame.
  • Vizzage wrote:
    Hi, I said INEXPENSIVE, not EXPENSIVE. I don’t know what ‘troll post’ means, please enlighten.

Thanks everyone else for your input.
    lol okay, my bad, I misread. Im getting old so it does happen occasionally.
    In which case, no its not worth it, if you want a carbon seat post, check how much weight you are saving only then may it be worth it, of course a nice deda superleggero or similar will look cool, so buy a reputable brand. Having said that a broken seat post probably won't kill you, it'll just be an uncomfortable ride home.
  • Only if it's got the sexy carbon weave showing so you have added bling factor, because you probably won't notice any comfort difference.
  • I ran this for 1750 miles before selling the bike: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/tifosi-carbon-seat-post/

Fair bit of it exposed too. I didn't buy it as an upgrade, but because I needed to go about 3-5mm past the minimum insertion mark on my stock post. Since I was buying a new post anyway I figured for the money it couldn't hurt to go carbon. I didn't notice much difference but given the brand and price I wasn't upset about the purchase. I expect if I spent twice as much I'd have found it enlightening.

Not sure I'd be willing to spend less than that on an unverified or unknown make though.
    Custom Albannach Torragar [BUILD IN PROGRESS]
    2020 Ribble CGR SL
    2019 Vitus Vitesse Evo CRS Disc
  • Vizzage
    So I know the advice was not to waste my money, and I was too embarassed to mention it, but in fact I’d already ordered the unbranded Chinese one by the time I got all the replies :)

Anyway, it arrived last week and my first impressions are that it makes a difference to the weight of the bike which unfortunately I immediately countered by eating a pack of crisps.

But the big thing I noticed is that it’s a LOT more comfortable over roads and little bumps. It seems to cushion the bumps really nicely. So as long as it doesn’t splinter and cause me to split my bum on the frame and shower my legs with carbon shards, I’m actually quite happy with it. So far.
  • imposter2.0
    Vizzage wrote:
    So I know the advice was not to waste my money, and I was too embarassed to mention it, but in fact I’d already ordered the unbranded Chinese one by the time I got all the replies :)

Anyway, it arrived last week and my first impressions are that it makes a difference to the weight of the bike which unfortunately I immediately countered by eating a pack of crisps.

But the big thing I noticed is that it’s a LOT more comfortable over roads and little bumps. It seems to cushion the bumps really nicely. So as long as it doesn’t splinter and cause me to split my bum on the frame and shower my legs with carbon shards, I’m actually quite happy with it. So far.

You'd have to explain how an upright carbon tube is capable of absorbing vertical impacts (ie 'cushioning bumps') without actually compressing. If it is actually compressing, then it's rather a worry...
  • Vizzage
    I think what’s happening is it’s flexing ever so slightly where the aluminium post wasn’t at all. My saddle is quite far forward because my bike is a touch on the large side, and so the moment’s causing a very slight flexing. Or maybe it’s just a placebo caused by cognitive bias and buyer’s remorse avoidance!
  • imposter2.0
    I think your last sentence nailed it, tbh...
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    To be fair, seat posts are loaded eccentrically. It'll be bending/flexing a little rather than compressing (ever tried compressing a cylinder?)

Oh and there's definitely some placebo effect going on.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • imposter2.0
    Ben6899 wrote:
    To be fair, seat posts are loaded eccentrically. It'll be bending/flexing a little rather than compressing (ever tried compressing a cylinder?)

As will a tube of any other composition, tbf..
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Imposter wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

As will a tube of any other composition, tbf..

Oh of course.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Vizzage wrote:
    I think what’s happening is it’s flexing ever so slightly where the aluminium post wasn’t at all. My saddle is quite far forward because my bike is a touch on the large side, and so the moment’s causing a very slight flexing. Or maybe it’s just a placebo caused by cognitive bias and buyer’s remorse avoidance!

Your saddle position should no be affected by the size of your bike, it should be set to get the right position for the cranks/pedals.

Try a shorter stem.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes