Getting lost during a Zwift GF...?

term1te
term1te Posts: 1,462
edited January 2019 in Road general
What on Earth went on here. I signed up for the Zwift Bambino fondo yesterday evening. Everything looked normal as I waited on the start line with everyone else in my nice virtual GF kit. Off we went, but pretty much at the first junction I went right, and everyone else went left. I hadn't touched the screen, or seen an option to choose a direction. So I carried on peddling and after about ten minutes joined the group again at another junction, only to head off in a different direction to everyone else a bit later. I sat up and decided to see where I'd end up. Six laps of a relatively short course later I'd completed the 52 virtual km so packed up. Strangely I appeared to be doing quite well most of the time, with my position in the event listed as being between 100th and 200th most of the time, even though I was on relatively empty virtual roads. When I hit 52 km it even said I was first, although I don't appear in the list of finishers.

I was using the Android app, if that makes any difference. Bizarre, how can you get lost in your own garage.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2076513067

Comments

• pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    This might be a first - getting lost on a virtual ride.

What does it say on your Strava file? :)
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    its adding a touch of realism to it lololol
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069

Throw in a couple of punctures, some heavy rain and a stop for cake and that's most of my rides in the Netherlands. :D
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    pottssteve wrote:

Throw in a couple of punctures, some heavy rain and a stop for cake and that's most of my rides in the Netherlands. :D

You should also add 40 minutes fannying about trying to decide how many layers are necessary, and then finding them, have you got a bag to put your phone in if it rains, do you need two gels and two snack bars, going to get your bike out and having to go back indoors to get a bidon and fill it up, going to the meeting point to see nobody has turned up, check your phone and the meeting point was changed but you didn't get the message...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That sounds like my first sportive, so it's certainly realistic. I assumed I'd just bimble round chatting with a load of other cyclists and only occasionally need to look out for turn signs. But after 50 miles the field was pretty strung out, and then I started to get a nagging feeling that I hadn't seen another cyclist or a Wiggle sign for a while...

Doubly annoying since the extra 15 miles was over quite lumpy terrain so I was knackered by the time I'd retraced my steps and rejoined the route.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926

It just needs a couple of white vans and taxi drivers to knock a few riders off and the realism will be complete :wink:
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • term1te
    Some great ideas there, I'm sure the good folk at Zwift could improve their offer by including some of them. I'll add that they should have run out of virtual food at the virtual feed stops. They could also have an incessant drone in the background of someone telling you how much better it was in the olden days, that I should be using 36 spoke 4 cross wheels on 'these roads', and that they spent a season racing in Belgium in the 70s, but had to retire when they developed a gluten intolerance.

Strava just shows me going round in circles in the South Pacific.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Dabber wrote:

It just needs a couple of white vans and taxi drivers to knock a few riders off and the realism will be complete :wink:
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    DaveP1 wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:

You should also add 40 minutes fannying about trying to decide how many layers are necessary, and then finding them, have you got a bag to put your phone in if it rains, do you need two gels and two snack bars, going to get your bike out and having to go back indoors to get a bidon and fill it up, going to the meeting point to see nobody has turned up, check your phone and the meeting point was changed but you didn't get the message...

not just me that happens too then :lol: you could also chuck in having forgotten to recharge all the gadgets you take with you so the ride just stops recording half...

but I have always wondered how you steer on Zwift
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,041
    How about adding a virtual wife to come and pick you up in the middle of nowhere in your virtual people carrier to then go on a virtual sex strike as she's got a virtual huff from having to interrupt her virtual soap watching to rescue you, virtually.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    davidof wrote:
    How about adding a virtual wife to come and pick you up in the middle of nowhere in your virtual people carrier to then go on a virtual sex strike as she's got a virtual huff from having to interrupt her virtual soap watching to rescue you, virtually.
    Think yourself lucky! My wife would virtually tell me to virtually eff off!
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    Is it because you ride on the right hand side in Switzerland while we use the left hand side in the UK?
  • -Dash
    -Dash Posts: 179
    I've had this happen during a race about a year and a half back.

I had managed to bridge over to the front group after realising the relentless pace as is common in Zwift races. I'm enjoying it and there isn't long left... then suddenly I take a right and the group goes straight on. I didn't have a clue what to do, pedalled for a few minutes more before just quitting. No idea why.
  • I used to use the Tacx Videos for a variation on my training plans. I stopped doing one of them, I got chased by this dog every week and was dropped by the same guy every week at the same point. So annoying.

Can you get a puncture in Swift?
  • term1te
    I used to use the Tacx Videos for a variation on my training plans. I stopped doing one of them, I got chased by this dog every week and was dropped by the same guy every week at the same point. So annoying.

:lol: