New campagnolo gear and brake cables

shiznit76
shiznit76 Posts: 640
edited January 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi, i am going to change the grear and brake cables on 10 speed campagnolo bike, is it worth shellingout £28 for the official kit or are the cheaper wiggle own brand stuff just as good?

Thanks folks

Comments

• Only you will know if it's worth it to you. I run campag 9 speed on my winter (workhorse) bike. I'll ride it in all weathers and rarely clean it other than a degrease and relube of the transmission every now and again. Basically it gets used and we'll maybe not abused but certainly doesn't get much TLC during the winter. I do, however, strip it down once a year before winter and fit new cables with the knowledge then that everything should be ok for the next 12 months. I see the cables as a disposable item for this bike and just get the cheap ones. If it were for a nice summer bike I had a bit of pride in then I'd probably get the Campag.
    Luke
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    edited January 2019
    Campagnolo cables are made from stainless steel with a high sustinite content. That mean more nickel and chromium. The result is a cable that is weakly attracted to a magnet but is very corrosion resistant.

Cheaper campagnolo compatible cables are more strongly attracted to a magnet which can be useful but they also corrode more quickly.

Pay your money and take your choice.

Transfil cables for campagnolo are probably the best pick. They last pretty well.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    Campagnolo cables are made from stainless steel with a high sustinite content. That mean more nickel and chromium. The result is a cable that is weakly attracted to a magnet but is very corrosion resistant.

Cheaper campagnolo compatible cables are more strongly attracted to a magnet which can be useful but they also corrode more quickly.

Pay your money and take your choice.

Triangular cables for campagnolo are probably the best pick. They last pretty well.

Cheers for info, most useful and appreciated
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Edit I meant transfil cables not triangular. Who ever invented predictive text needs talking too.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.