Cycling clubs in North London / Finchley area

Hendrix2430
Hendrix2430 Posts: 119
edited February 2019 in Road beginners
Hi all, looking to join a club for Saturday + Sunday rides in North London preferably. I’m based in Barnet so Finchley would be ideal.

For what it’s worth I find it comfortable to ride at a steady 26-27 km/ hr for 2-3 hours.

I’ve been looking at C.C. London, London Phoenix and Islington C.C. so wondering if you all had recommendations or additional suggestions.

Thanks!

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Finsbury Park CC ride from Potters Bar, easy for you to get to. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with them if you do pop along as I've been meaning to try them out!

I ride with the Gregarios, who ride out of Hatch End, NW London, used to be local to me, not so much any more but I keep coming back! - http://www.gregarios.co.uk

You're a bit spoiled for choice to be honest.
  • I live in the area but don't ride with a club, but keep meaning to.
    Phoenix CC I believe you need at least a Cat 4 licence to ride with them. They're very friendly in my experience, but also exceptionally fast.
    London CC appear to have a broader range of capabilities. Again very friendly. If I was going to join any club, they'd be the one I go for.
    Islington CC normally are based at one of the East Finchley cafes (although not the good ones). I can't comment on them but they have been around for a while.
    As mentioned above Finsbury Park CC meet in Potters Bar.
    There's a group that meet in Totteridge at the cafe near the Waitrose. I can't for the life of me remember their name.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    TimothyW wrote:
    Finsbury Park CC ride from Potters Bar, easy for you to get to. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with them if you do pop along as I've been meaning to try them out!

I ride with the Gregarios, who ride out of Hatch End, NW London, used to be local to me, not so much any more but I keep coming back! - http://www.gregarios.co.uk

You're a bit spoiled for choice to be honest.

Finsbury are a lovely bunch, used to ride with them when I was a student, they're a very friendly club, noticeably more so than some I've ridden with.
  • Thanks for your responses!
  • If you do try any of them, fancy reporting back here? I'm interested to hear more and really should go out for a ride myself with them. Might do the next Finsbury Park ride, when they post it online.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    If you do try any of them, fancy reporting back here? I'm interested to hear more and really should go out for a ride myself with them. Might do the next Finsbury Park ride, when they post it online.

Drop them a message on their FB page, they’re out every weekend
  • I got in touch with Finsbury Park CC - will do go on their intro ride the first Sunday of Feb
  • I got in touch with Finsbury Park CC - will do go on their intro ride the first Sunday of Feb

Did you ride with Finsbury Park ? Any good ?