Canyon Aeroad vs. Sensa Giulia Evo Disc

tim.w
tim.w Posts: 4
edited January 2019 in Road buying advice
After saving money for a long time I’m in the market for a aero bike. My budget is around €4000/€4750. I had my eyes fixed on an Canyon AEROAD CF SL DISC 8.0 DI2. In a summary; Ultegra DI2 groupset, nice DT Swiss wheel set and full carbon frame from Canyon. Technically a complete bike for a nice price. I also love the way the bike looks in stealth black. Price: €4699. Link for further details:

https://www.canyon.com/nl/road/aeroad/2 ... 0-di2.html

I was pretty sure that I would go for the Canyon, until some people told me to have a look at the Sensa Giulia EVO DISC.

https://www.sensabikes.com/bikes/road/4 ... 01fac2f01d

Sensa is a bit of a unknown for me to be honest, but I hear a lot of good things about the brand. A fully speced Giulia EVO DISC is even more better priced then the Canyon. On a website I speced it with almost all the option (DI2, deep Supra wheels, integrated cockpit etc.) and came on a price of € 4569,00. 
The bicycle is available at local retailers so maybe I can get it for an even better price. Other advantage of a local retailer is they can make a measurement of my body and make the bike fit exactly the way I want.

Which of the two option sounds best to you?

I’m also curious what aero bikes you guys would be looking at if you had a budget of €4750

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Local retailer should swing the deal towards that.

Their bikes get good reviews -

https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cat ... iew-51905/
  • tim.w
    Thanks! The thing is.. Canyon gets good reviews aswell, and a lot of them :D I’m just a little bit worried about their customer service. Also the delivery time can take months if the bike is not in stock anymore. But when it comes to bikes they are some nice pieces of kit.

The Sensa gives me an interesting option. Because it is a custom bike I can spec it with the cheapest rims, sell them and put my own wheelset on them. I’m thinking about a wheelset from Zipp/Reynolds/DTSwiss.

Maybe there are people over here that can share their experience with one of these bikes?
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Quite simply which one would you most like to ride/own ?

Paying by credit card - you will have plenty of protection if things go awry with canyon.

Personally I would go for the canyon - make the delivery date a condition of the order - if they start to ank about - cancel it and get the sensa. Merlin cycles stock sensa and they have a very good reputation.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I have a lower end Sensa, although now it’s pretty much just used for the turbo trainer.
    I would be a bit wary of the Supra wheels, I had a basic pair on my bike, which were pretty awful. Went out of true very easily, rim tape was terrible and mounting tyres was a nightmare.
    Otherwise I never had any complaints about the bike.
  • tim.w
    Alex222 wrote:
    I have a lower end Sensa, although now it’s pretty much just used for the turbo trainer.
    I would be a bit wary of the Supra wheels, I had a basic pair on my bike, which were pretty awful. Went out of true very easily, rim tape was terrible and mounting tyres was a nightmare.
    Otherwise I never had any complaints about the bike.

Some usable information there, thanks. If I'm going for the Sensa I will get it with the cheapest wheel set available and put a nice set of wheels underneath it myself.

What about the wheels on the Canyon Aeroad. Are the DT SWISS ARC 1400 DICUT DB any good or is a set from Reynolds/Zipp a better choice?