Opinions on these stanchions

bobbydigital
bobbydigital Posts: 254
edited January 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
So I bought these from an auction site and currently in dispute with the seller.
They were listed as great condition with some wear to the lowers, they arrive the stanchions are scratched, dull, look very worn near the bottoms but never too sure of myself want the opinion of others, thanks.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    There is no way that those can be described as in "great condition". They look either very old or badly abused. I would have no confidence in them the the seals won't leak. Do they even hold pressure after being cycled up and down? If the outside is considered in "great condition", what on earth will they be like inside?

The owner may not be trying to con you, just badly informed.

Be prepared for him to claim that you have switched the forks if he is a con artist. But PayPal are usually on the side of the buyer quite strongly.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    It’s hard to tell from the photos whether the bottom few centimetres of the stanchions are worn or the upper parts are dirty due to lack of fork travel.
    If the bike they came off was never used off road the forks may not have ever compressed more than those few cm.

It also looks like someone has been smacking the CSU with a hammer!
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • It was a seller on 2500 feedback, they sale bicycle equipment so I expect they just didn't take very good pics or add a accurate description to be sneaky, they accepted a return and to pay for return postage.

The stanchions wouldn't clean up, they seem that colour now after the abuse they have had. The bottom of them is a darker colour with vertical lines which look like scratches.

They said the forks were a year old with light use! The serial number was 18T20023604, I read that the first number after the first letter is the year - T & 2 so would be 2012, not too sure though. 18th week in 2012 apparently.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Fork info

Week 18 of 2012 as you worked out, but should have a remote lock out.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • They must have broken it and then replaced it with the manual lockout knob.

Cool site.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They must have broken it and then replaced it with the manual lockout knob.
    Probably due to the repeated smacking into a wall it looks like they've had!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.