Newbie Bike Choice

domdom1980
domdom1980 Posts: 79
edited January 2019 in Road buying advice
Like loads of new road cyclists on here, I am looking for some advice on what to aim for on a new road bike.

I currently have a Cube MTB which I am more than happy with, but I want to do some miles on the road, on something enduro/sportive to get that bit more comfort. Currently I am torn between:

Cube Attain race Disc - its down to £660 at Rutland
Giant TCR Advanced 3 - down to £894 at Rutland
Planet X Pro Carbon Evo - £900

I've read loads about all three and have no idea what would be the best in terms of what I need - I'm only looking for something easy to ride, with no need to upgrade that I can put 40-60 miles on each time in a fair amount of comfort.

Has anyone got any advice on the above, or even anything else to suggest, my budget is about £1000 - currently I'm leaning toward the Cube - but the Giant keeps nagging at me as it seems like a damn fine frame.

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,624
    Think you should decide whether or not you want discs first.

And if your budget is £1k, if I were you I'd look at bikes offered for the btw scheme - there are some pretty keenly priced machines out there with decent frames and parts selections to keep within budget.
  • Yep decide if you want a disc brake bike or not, the main advantage for me would be I would spend more on a good wheelset as there is no brake surface to wear down. That said, Im more than happy with rim brakes on my road bike

I think the planet X one is pretty good value, ive bought plenty of things from them but never a full bike. Campagnolo Centaur 11-speed groupset is rated equivalent to shimano 105, Campagnolo Calima wheelset seems to be fairly well reviewed for an entry level wheelset. This would be my choice mainly because I prefer carbon frames especially on road but frames are only as good as they are designed. Planet X are pretty good.

The Giant (are you sure its stock at rutland?) is Tiagra groupset, not quite as nice but still ok.
  • Thanks for the replies.

I like the idea of a disc as that's what I have on my mtb, and I'm going to ride all year round (so in the wet). However, if it doesn't make too much difference then I'll happily go without.

The Giant seems strong enough to keep and upgrade if required in the future, but the planet x has some good equipment at the price!

Bianchi tempts me too, but then that just seems style over substance
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    Domdom1980 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies.

I like the idea of a disc as that's what I have on my mtb, and I'm going to ride all year round (so in the wet). However, if it doesn't make too much difference then I'll happily go without.

The Giant seems strong enough to keep and upgrade if required in the future, but the planet x has some good equipment at the price!

You are really wrong on this. I own Bianchi Infinito CV that i consider it as a state of art, but i am an engineer, practicality always comes 1st on my priorities and i can assure you that is not lucking at all. They are great and fun bikes to ride, well engineered. If you are looking just for a machine that works well, they are cheaper options out there, but if you are looking for an emotion too, then nothing can beat celeste.
  • YiannisM wrote:
    Domdom1980 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies.

You are really wrong on this. I own Bianchi Infinito CV that i consider it as a state of art, but i am an engineer, practicality always comes 1st on my priorities and i can assure you that is not lucking at all. They are great and fun bikes to ride, well engineered. If you are looking just for a machine that works well, they are cheaper options out there, but if you are looking for an emotion too, then nothing can beat celeste.

Fair play, I was only going on what I had read on a few boards etc, if it does the job then it's worth considering too, definitely a beautiful bike.