Singlespeed cranks etc

timbo_tim
timbo_tim Posts: 199
edited January 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi all

I realise single speed/fixie isn't normal road buying advice, but i thought this was a good place to start getting some thoughts:

I was looking to replace my standard square taper BB (something like this: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CSSTTR2K/stronglight-track-2000-crankset but then this https://www.dolan-bikes.com/parts-accessories/bike-components/bike-chainsets-cranksets/alpina-track-crankset-bottom-bracket.htmlpopped up, and i wondered if this could fit in a standard (is there such a thing) screwthread BB - Frame is a 2008 Pearson singlespeed if that helps?

Anyone else have some good / value suggestions for cranks preferably 165mm with 48T?

Many thanks

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    So what are you actually trying to do? I'd be loathe to swap my square taper BB for anything, particularly 'for the sake of it'.

If you want to change your crankset and put up with whatever standard is currently in vogue, that's up to you.

I take it your road riding / commuting? If you're on a track bike I apologise and can give no useful advice!

I've always stuck with the Miche stuff that was delivered on my Langster, I have no complaints.
  • timbo_tim
    craker wrote:
    So what are you actually trying to do? I'd be loathe to swap my square taper BB for anything, particularly 'for the sake of it'.

Very good question! and one I ask myself daily! The last BB / crank combination seemed to last only about 2,000 miles of daily commuting (crank now falling off BB spindle) - presumably budget cranks were made of cheese and now rounded off so was looking around for something better and saw the Alpina one for same price as a sugino, though you are probably right and I should stick to square taper - i just want something robust for some daily mashing. Miche look good do you know what chainline / BB they need, I seem to be on 45mm?

Thanks
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The Dolan chainset is basically a copy of the SRAM Omnium chainset, so has HT2/GXP style external cups designed for a standard threaded BB shell. All track chainsets are designed for 42mm chainline, assuming this is what you want.
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    Miche Primato all the way, both for chainset and square Taper (JIS) BB 107mm for my Langsters. Chainsets come in black or silver, 144bcd, 1/8 chain. 48T is the standard chainring, 165mm cranks are also very standard.Don't pay more than £100 new or £90 including BB for good second hand. If you have money left over spend it on the freewheel, if you are riding SS rather than fixed. White Industries Eno is the market leader and priced to justify quality. They are wonderful and totally rebuildable/serviceable.
    Colnago Addict!
  • timbo_tim
    Thanks, just got the Primato as recommended, but need a 113 BB due to my weird 45mm chain line. Hope this one lasts longer...
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    mrdsgs wrote:
    They are wonderful and totally rebuildable/serviceable.

You forgot loud too :D
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.