What size Brooks Saddle?

skooter
skooter Posts: 264
edited January 2019 in Road beginners
I am thinking of buying a Brooks saddle but the saddles all seem to be a lot larger than my saddle.
The guy that measured my sit bones said my size was 143mm so I have 2 saddles at 143mm and a saddle of 138mm which all fit well.
But none of the Books leather types are under 150mm?
How do you know what size to get?

Comments

• Lots of stockists will have test saddles for you to try before you buy. That way you can find what works for you. Are you committed to the leather ones? I've got a Cambium that I love and they do have narrower saddles particularly in the C13 range.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Sizing for Brooks leather saddles is different from a padded nylon base saddle. A Brooks saddle consists of firm leather suspended hammock-style between a metal cantle plate which curves around the rear portion of the saddle. You don't want to be sitting on the cantle plate as it will remain as firm as the metal it's made of and will not conform to the shape of your sit bones. This means you need to add 20 to 30mm to the width for a Brooks in comparison to a regular saddle.

For example, I am very comfortable riding a 140mm Fizik Aliante Vs saddle on my road bike. I am also very comfortable riding a 170mm Brooks B17 titanium standard width on my touring bike. A 160mm Brooks Professional also appears to suit me.

I suspect the reason some people don't get on with Brooks saddles is that they buy something like a 151mm B17 narrow and find it too hard because they are sitting on the cantle plate/rivet section.
  • skooter
    edited January 2019
    I have just bought a 1982 Raleigh with a 501 frame and think the leather would look better?
    But that is interesting on needing a bigger size Brook saddle? that makes a bit of sense now.
    PS.. I like the Swallow shape/type.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    why do you want ro switch to a brooks ...if its for comfort then go for one of the wider ones.

I had some weird problems with my hip and hamstring. I tried a few of the popular plastic sadlles ..but my bones were digging in ....very painfull.

I went for the big ugly b17 ...instant comfort and gets better the more you ride. got on them on all my bikes now ...even the cf racers....might not look great but the comfort is to die for. ( well not quite ...but you get the idea)
  • skooter
    I suppose comfort is first and I think they look cool second.
  • mercia_man
    skooter wrote:
    I have just bought a 1982 Raleigh with a 501 frame and think the leather would look better?
    But that is interesting on needing a bigger size Brook saddle? that makes a bit of sense now.
    PS.. I like the Swallow shape/type.

It all depends on the type of riding you do. Of course looks also play a big part in what you choose. The Swallow (153mm) is a revived 1930s model originally designed for racing cyclists. The Swift (150mm) and the Colt (156mm) are both similar width and a bit more stylish than say the B17 to some eyes. I used to have a Colt on my tourer and it fitted me, although the B17 currently fitted is definitely better still for long multi-day touring rides.

There's a reason why the B17 and Professional have been by far Brooks' most popular saddles over the years. They do seem to fit the majority of people. If you get the models with the large hammered copper rivets such as the B17 Special or Team Pro, maybe with titanium rails and cantle plate, they look really good compared to the standard small rivet versions.

Unlike the modern Cambiums, which have a suspended rubber seat, a leather Brooks feels rock hard at first but will mould to the shape of your sit bones after a few hundred miles. The personalized fit should then make it really comfortable for many years to come. But this won't happen if you choose too narrow.

It sounds to me that the best match for you would be the Pro if you prefer a racy position or a B17 if the drop from saddle to bars is only an inch or so. I don't think you would go wrong with either. A Swallow would be more of a gamble (although it does look great).
  • skooter
    Great post Mercia Man.
    I do have race bikes but a change in direction is what I want and the older 1980s stuff is right where I want to be. This is my first 1980s bike so I will try and test all types of stuff, I don't want to race but I have found there is a band of brothers thing going on with this type of bike and I want more.
    Hopefully I will buy two more such bikes and get rid of some of the others.

But as we all know saddles are a big thing and its nice to get it right so thanks again to all who have posted.
  • skooter
    Had a bit of a study and the Pro looks good really.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    oxoman wrote:
    Just be aware that Brooks saddles need to be worn in and definitely not comfortable straight out of the box.

All mine have been comfortable from day 1 - but the more you ride them the better they get.
  • skooter
    I might try a Brooks Pro I have seen on ebay as its only about £40 as too £90 for a new one, If it don't work out I shall just put it back on Ebay without too much of a loss/
  • skooter
    Just been looking on ebay and there are loads of Brooks B17 champion saddles but not listed on wiggle or the brooks condor site. What are champion saddles.
  • mercia_man
    The Brooks B17 Champion saddles are what Brooks call the B17 Special on their website. They are the upmarket better looking version of the standard B17 and have large hand hammered copper rivets and chamfered leather skirt edge. I have the B17 Special in black with titanium rails on my tourer. It looks fantastic to my eyes.

https://www.brooksengland.com/en_uk/saddles.html
  • mercia_man
    As an alternative to Brooks, Spa Cycles sell the beautiful Gilles Berthoud range from France and their own label brand which look similar to Brooks but are I think made in China and a fair bit cheaper than the English made originals.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s204p0/ ... es-Leather
  • skooter
    Just an update..

I opted for a Brooks Pro of ebay and I'm very pleased with the result but I would still like to try Swift..
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    In case anyone else happens on this thread:

One thing to bear in mind with the Brooks saddles is that they don't all have bag loops. A minor point but useful if you want to use an old school saddle bag. My B17 Special with its huge copper rivets and plated rails is I think a thing of extreme beauty, and is frequently sporting a Carradice Barley bag which suits it perfectly.

And it was armchair comfy out of the box. The saddle, not the bag.

If my one purchase is typical then the Spa own label saddles are made from thicker, harder leather than Brooks, so might actually need some breaking in for some people. I tried their copy of a Swallow on my carbon bike because the B17 looked a bit incongruous, and found it pretty good. Certainly incredible VFM and looks like it would last for years.