Changing Vector 2 pedals to Shimano SPD

fatguyslim
fatguyslim Posts: 7
edited February 2019 in Workshop
Hey everyone, I bought my vector 2 power meter a few years back but stopped using it after I got my Watteam Powerbeat G2. The main reason behind changing my powermeter was to use them with my MTB cleats and SPD pedals. At the time there wasn't any option out there that offered dual side pedal power meters with interchangeable pedals.

I absolutely hate using SPD SL cleats because of how uncomfortable they are to walk with. I own a bunch of recessed cleat shoes and they all feel great with my SPD cleats. Now my Vector 2 power meter has been collecting dust for nearly 2 years and I wouldn't have even thought about them until I realised that Watteam company was going under and they have stopped all support relating to their products.

So I started looking at other options and I came upon this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0rpiZvSjdE

Now this video shows how one can replace the vector 2 pedals to Shimano Ultegra pedals with the conversion kit. Can someone please let me know if it is possible to buy a Shimano SPD pedal like Deore XTR and try and fit the vector spindle in this pedal?

Comments

• mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Might be a different direction, but I just use these
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shi ... 8ec78&mx=a

Initially a bit of a hassle, but you get used to it soon. Does require strong fingers to pull off, though
  • mamil314 wrote:
    Might be a different direction, but I just use these
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shi ... 8ec78&mx=a

Initially a bit of a hassle, but you get used to it soon. Does require strong fingers to pull off, though

Thanks for replying Mamil but I am looking for a pedal change rather than making it easier to walk with road cleats. I am surprised no one has tried changing the pedal type on vector 2 before?
  • Good news guys. I actually made Vector 2 work with spd pedals. I was told by Shimano that no 2 pedal spindles are alike specially those that different pedal types like SPD and SPD-SL. This is in fact true but it wasn't the spindle that had to be the same in my case. I just had to find a pedal that had the same thread and pitch for the spindle housing as PD-6800 pedal. I googled a bunch of pedals and eventually found Shimano's pedal manual for dealers. In this pdf I found out that PD-T700 looked very similar to PD-6800.

I then ordered Vector Conversion kit and used it on PD-T700. To my surprise it was a perfect fit and the power meter is reading power values equal to the power meter on my Tacx Neo. So I guess if there is anyone out there who is sick of vector 2 spd-sl pedal type you can now change that to spd by following what I did. Thought I should put it out there as I am sure there are cyclist like me who prefer spd over spd-sl given there isn't a single pedal powermeter out there for spd pedal type.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Nice work that. I've been idly thinking on and off about working out how to do a similar thing using Assiomas, to have pedal based power meters on my mountain/gravel bikes. I've never got around to it because I assume I'll need to find someone with a lathe and some skill to make custom spacers and bearing seats, if I can even get anything close enough to work at all.
  • whyamihere wrote:
    Nice work that. I've been idly thinking on and off about working out how to do a similar thing using Assiomas, to have pedal based power meters on my mountain/gravel bikes. I've never got around to it because I assume I'll need to find someone with a lathe and some skill to make custom spacers and bearing seats, if I can even get anything close enough to work at all.

Yeah you might need to machine something that would fit Assioma powermeter. I got lucky coz garmin sells conversion kits for vector 2. I pretty sure you cant achieve this even on Vector 3, so yeah man you might need to see if someone can machine you a housing for your pedal. Can you open it up and send some photos so I can see what can be done?