Buying from US

Eziemniak
Eziemniak Posts: 5
edited January 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi, I'm am not quite sure what tariffs and other fees would I have to pay when buying a new bike from US online shop. I know there is an import tariff and then also Vat to be added to the value of bike plus delivery. Can someone clarify how much are these?
Are there any new tariffs related to recent trade wars?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Should be all on the HMRC website.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
  • Was great when it was 2 Dollars to the Pound
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Eziemniak wrote:
    Hi, I'm am not quite sure what tariffs and other fees would I have to pay when buying a new bike from US online shop. I know there is an import tariff and then also Vat to be added to the value of bike plus delivery. Can someone clarify how much are these?
    The tax rates are here:
    https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk ... &year=2019
    VAT and 14% import duty.

The trade tariff website will let you know the various tariffs for every good. The hardest part is working which category some goods are in. You can find some unexpected things in there too - there is a tariff code for snow!
  • You might also get stung for a handling fee by the courier depending on who brings it into the UK and gets it to your door.
  • Well thank you all for input. When bike order gets here I will let you know how much we're the handling fees
    BTW the bike is Raleigh grand prix with ritchey breakaway system, just over a 1000usd, judging by frame cost over here it is well worth extra duties