aero or normal road bike?

shalant
shalant Posts: 16
edited January 2019 in Road buying advice
enjoying geeking out on a new road bike purchase. i have decided on a bike. my lbs, the best in town, mentioned the same fancy fit is available in an aero frame as well. here are the options:

5k nice road bike, step-up wheels, ultegra disc, 17 pounds
5k nice aero road bike, step-up wheels, ultegra disc, 18 pounds

do i prefer a smidge of comfort or a smidge of help in the wind? if i fit the aero bike with a fancy carbon cockpit and 28mm tires, would that add significant comfort? the online reviews of both bikes are near the top on any road bikes. i aspire to get fancy blingy wheels in a few years.

thanks!

fat dad

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    5 grand for a heavy Ultegra equipped bike, seems a lot of money.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    shalant wrote:
    fat dad

Did you just answer your own question? Aero benefits are not going to be particularly noticable when 70% of the combined aero profile is the rider himself...
  • I love aero, but that's just my personal opinion. Does the aero bike come with deep sections? Or are both bikes basically the same apart from the frameset? In real terms the difference is going to be oh so marginal.

Actually on second thoughts just go for the one that you think looks the best!

Webboo wrote:
    ^ This a little bit too.
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    Amongst others I’ve got a Colnago C60 with non aero wheels and a Cipollini NK1K with deep section carbon wheels. Over flat and rolling terrain the Cipollini is much faster for same watts compared to the C60. Depends on your riding routes but I would prefer the aero bike.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Have you swapped the wheels Mr Mojo ?

OP - can't you get a test ride on them both ?

As has been said 5k is a shedload of cash. A 2k bike will be just as fast. If you're getting crap wheels with the 5k bike then you're making a bad decision.
  • shalant
    I spend plenty of time wasted looking at bike sales. I'm putting credit on this well regarded shop and the detailed fit they gave, the advice they give, and the more well known internet reviews. I'm putting -1 on off-brands, internet deals, and canyon. that's my math gents.
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    The wheels on the Cipollini are Reynolds 72mm front and 90mm rear so quite deep, never had them on the C60. I have had some Zipp 404’s on the C60 previously and they did feel faster but still not as quick as the Cipo.
  • Both at 5k I'd go aero, there's more of a gain to be had than from weight.

If you do sportives, club rides or enjoy pushing yourself every little helps. The weight wont really help anywhere apart from the "oooh factor" when picking the bike up.
  • Buy the pretty one.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Webboo wrote:
    ^^This, with a 5k budget I’m sure you can find a better deal than the one your lbs is offering.
  • Buy a 2.5k aero and a 2.5k non aero.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Aero is always faster, unless your ride frequently involves the Alps. If you aren’t bothered about going faster than get the in that looks nicest. I’d echo the comments about price, 5k for an ultegra bike is frothy.....you’re into hyper bike land at that price point for ultegra (new Venge, s5, etc, etc), in which case get the Venge ;-)
  • A blue aeroad at £2.5k

410e953b8c59159ab00f7628524b4.jpg

and a red semi aero at £2.8k

66909213f388e67e72bb0b00e73cb.jpg

Only £300 over budget
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Are you talking US or Aus dollars or pounds sterling because if sterling you are paying too much, I am guessing by your use of pounds rather than kilos you may be in the US?
    I have gone through this aero v lightweight quandary myself recently. I wanted a new race bike whch would perhaps be better as aero but also wanted a lightweight comfortable bike that is enjoyable to ride and I live in an area with lots of steep hills.
    I ended up getting both, an Orbea Orca as a best summer bike and I bought an aero frame to build up as a race bike.

I think you need to decide what kind of riding you are going to be doing, if you are looking for long days in the saddle then comfort is important, if you are going to race or just want a fast bike because it looks great then go for the aero.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    edited January 2019
    Like Mr_Mojo I have a Colnago C60 with 50mm front and 60mm rear deep section rims. I also have a Colnago Concept aero road bike with 70mm front and 80mm rear deep section rims. Both bikes are really comfy. The Concept is however faster on the flat for the same effort. I tend to use the C60 for hilly rides and when I travel, and the Concept for flat/ rolling rides in summer. It really does fly... :wink:

PP
  • shalant
    this is great, thanks. yes I'm an American. probably splitting hairs, but I'm deciding between a little more comfort or a little more speed. maybe the aero one will make me feel stronger lol. I think comfort is prolly smarter. got another week or two to decide.

5k is still a lot for an ultegra build but...the comps would be a big anonymous brand or older model from the internet. I love how the bikes look and the detailed fit info from my lbs are valued.
  • webboo
    So what is the make they are selling for 5 grand.
  • shalant
    looking at an orbea orca m20 team disc with a minor wheel upgrade (ksyrium elite ust) or the aero disc. liking a red paint job with some orange touches.
  • shalant wrote:
    looking at an orbea orca m20 team disc with a minor wheel upgrade (ksyrium elite ust) or the aero disc. liking a red paint job with some orange touches.
    Good choice I just bought a M10 Team myself
    What size are you there are some good prices to be had on the Orbea Outlet page including a 53 M10 Team at £3059 which is around $4000
    On the main site
    An M10 Team 19 is listed at £3299 which is about $4200
    Are you sure you are not being overcharged? It could be the import maybe?
  • webboo
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    shalant wrote:
    Good choice I just bought a M10 Team myself
    What size are you there are some good prices to be had on the Orbea Outlet page including a 53 M10 Team at £3059 which is around $4000
    On the main site
    An M10 Team 19 is listed at £3299 which is about $4200
    Are you sure you are not being overcharged? It could be the import maybe?
    I thought the same when I looked at prices earlier.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I think bikes are one of the rare products that tend to be a bit cheaper in the UK than they are elsewhere, so price isn't necessarily that unreasonable.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Like Mr_Mojo I have a Colnago C60 with 50mm front and 60mm rear deep section rims. I also have a Colnago Concept aero road bike with 70mm front and 80mm rear deep section rims. Both bikes are really comfy. The Concept is however faster on the flat for the same effort. I tend to use the C60 for hilly rides and when I travel, and the Concept for flat/ rolling rides in summer. It really does fly... :wink:

PP

I can relate to this.... my C59 and C60 are fabulous, handle superbly and are so comfortable you could ride them all day long (...and I have :D ). I also have a Trek Madone 9.5 (DI2 / Zipp 404 etc) and is on average 4mph faster on any of my regular routes. It’s brilliant.

As a result that’s my toy...and the others come with me to Europe for the hills, holidays and events.

So as usual the answer to your quandary is “depends on what your riding preferences are “
  • cougie
    Woah. Your Trek is 4mph faster than your Colnagos ?
    And for the same effort ,? That's insane.
  • cougie wrote:

You are insane if you believe that, sorry shipley, unless of course you ride your colnagos like a snail to avoid scratching them...
    You would be VERY lucky to get 4 mph faster from going from a decent road bike to a full on TT rig
  • cougie
    Exactly. I'd be selling those Colnagos pretty quickly if they were slower than another bike by 4mph.

I'm wondering if it's meant to be 0.4mph ?
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    4mph. don't be silly. unless you are going slowly solo, and the other bike is a fast group ride.
  • pilot_pete
    cougie wrote:

You are insane if you believe that, sorry shipley, unless of course you ride your colnagos like a snail to avoid scratching them...
    You would be VERY lucky to get 4 mph faster from going from a decent road bike to a full on TT rig

I agree that the claimed 4mph gain seems a bit excessive to me too, but, giving it the beans on my Concept over 25miles I can average 21mph (which admittedly is not in a race, on roads dealing with junctions etc.) But I did a 25mile TT on my (quite old) Scott Plasma TT bike in 55:29, which is just over 27mph average. Not quite comparing apples with apples, but that’s a 6mph speed increase on a full on TT bike. If I couldn’t gain 4mph going from a road bike to a TT bike then I would be asking myself some serious questions as to why...

PP
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    A madone 9.5 isn't a TT bike though, it's just another road bike (albeit an aero one).
  • Pilot Pete wrote:
    cougie wrote:

I agree that the claimed 4mph gain seems a bit excessive to me too, but, giving it the beans on my Concept over 25miles I can average 21mph (which admittedly is not in a race, on roads dealing with junctions etc.) But I did a 25mile TT on my (quite old) Scott Plasma TT bike in 55:29, which is just over 27mph average. Not quite comparing apples with apples, but that’s a 6mph speed increase on a full on TT bike. If I couldn’t gain 4mph going from a road bike to a TT bike then I would be asking myself some serious questions as to why...

PP

Well you are a lot faster than me but yeah you are right, not apples with apples at all, why not give it a try and see.
    Same road/course , same conditions, same effort , Same CLOTHING/HELMET and see what you come up with i would wager its a lot less than 6mph
    Of course the faster you can go the more a small % difference makes, he could well be riding drafting cars at 90mph then the 4mph difference might make some sense.
    I think it more likely he did mean 0.4mph,,

I have done TT's a lot on my road bike and I did for one season only have a Planet X TT bike.
    I used the same suit and helmet for both and admittedly they were different seasons but the courses were all the same, the difference was approx 2.4 kmh* (averaged out over the seasons races)

*and i'd bet most of that came from the Tribars/position
    ** if we had any drag strip courses round here the difference may have been greater but we don't sadly
  • pilot_pete
    TimothyW wrote:
    A madone 9.5 isn't a TT bike though, it's just another road bike (albeit an aero one).

Yeah, but he said “You would be VERY lucky to get 4 mph faster from going from a decent road bike to a full on TT rig”. Hence my reply.

PP