Packable Jacket

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited January 2019 in Road buying advice
Any suggestions on these? Or are they all pretty much boil in the bag affairs, its more for if the weather suddenly goes wrong when I'm riding, as in wet or suddenly windy.

I've looked but its all a bit confusing.

Comments

• Have a look at the goretex jackets from GORE Bike wear.They've got some very nice light weight kit
    (paclite)that will take up very little room in a back/hip pack.A little bit more expensive but guaranteed
    to keep you dry & not end up with you sweating your tits off,unlike some of these other membranes that
    claim to keep you dry
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Sportful Hotpack probably the standard answer. Wouldn't want to wear one all day but handy for a sudden shower or chilly descent.
  • I splashed out for Shakedry not so long ago based on multiple superlative reviews. Usage minimal so far but seems to be a vast improvement over any other kind of waterproof I've ever worn (either cycling or hillwalking). Boil in the bag isn't 100% off the table for me (I run hot), but I reckon it's about 5c cooler in the Shakedry than in the next best jacket I own, and that's a lot! Living in Scotland I feel totally justified having made that spend.

Obviously if you're talking about windproofs rather than waterproofs it's a different story - no recommendations from me on that front.

(My fabric reference points are Goretex Active, Goretex Pro, standard Goretex, Pertex Shield, and one in Altura's unbranded 2.5 layer fabric circa 2011)
    Custom Albannach Torragar [BUILD IN PROGRESS]
    2020 Ribble CGR SL
    2019 Vitus Vitesse Evo CRS Disc
  • I've got one of these, works well for me -
    https://www.endurasport.com/product/fs2 ... race-cape/
    Also useful on all day rides when it's cold first thing, I take it off and put it in the saddle bag when the day warms up.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    +1 for Gore Shakedry if your budget can extend that far. Fully waterproof, far more breathable than anything else I've tried (you will still sweat if going full gas, mind) and packs down to next to nothing. It fits easily into a jersey pocket, less bulky even than my Mavic gilet. Worth baring in mind they are 'race cut' on sizing and don't have any real stretch to them.
  • shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    +1 for shakedry, even better as on sale just now at CRC, and use code JAN19 and get another 10% off
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/gor ... 66925?mx=a
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Step83 wrote:
    Any suggestions on these? Or are they all pretty much boil in the bag affairs, its more for if the weather suddenly goes wrong when I'm riding, as in wet or suddenly windy.

I've looked but its all a bit confusing.

I have a Castelli Idro. Bought it "cheap" i.e. < £100 last spring. It's the same shakedry material as the Gore jacket that others refer to. As far as I can tell, it's fashioned from unicorn tears, fairy dust, and magic. Or you can get a boil in the bag one for a load less money.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Allegedly, Gore are hoping to have the Shakedry fabric in actual colours by mid- to late-2019. Allegedly.

I don't want a grey or black jacket (with/without coloured patches in a couple of places), but would jump at a Shakedry jacket in an actual bright colour, all-over, so am hanging on for as long as it takes...
  • step83
    The shakedry ones still seem insanely expensive for what is going to be an occasional jacket at best. The Endura is looking a likely candidate so far.
  • rdt
    Step83 wrote:
    The shakedry ones still seem insanely expensive for what is going to be an occasional jacket at best. The Endura is looking a likely candidate so far.

I agree about the price if used only very occasionally, and if a long day in the rain isn't on the cards...

So how about this for an emergency "water resistant" jacket for light rain / wind?

https://www.pactimo.co.uk/collections/s ... acket-mens
    https://road.cc/content/review/120668-p ... ain-jacket

Just ordered one myself - had some Pactimo "points" so: half price + redeeming the points has got me the jacket for a tenner, delivered :lol:
  • step83
    I did look at that, Unfortunately I fall into the "he likes pies he does" category. 43" chest which puts me firmly into the XXL cub (Woo)

At the point I'm debating a bin bag with holes.
  • I've got one of these, works well for me -
    https://www.endurasport.com/product/fs2 ... race-cape/
    Also useful on all day rides when it's cold first thing, I take it off and put it in the saddle bag when the day warms up.

I've got one of these and it's really good.
  • shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    I have a Gore shakedry for best, and an Endura Pakajak for commuting.

If you don't want to spend £100+ on a Shakedry then can recommend a £10-£15 Pakajak. Keeps a shower at bay and no more boil in the bag than anything else. Not the most "race-fit" but it doesn't flap and from the OPs description that's not a bad thing. If you wanted race fit then Wiggle have Hotpacks at £32.

Personally can't see the point of mid market offerings like the Fs260 anymore because they don't really do anything a Pakajak doesn't do and they don't approach the breathability, protection and usability of a Shakedry or equivalent. You'd be kicking yourself spending half the price of a Shakedry on one.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    rdt wrote:
    Step83 wrote:

I agree about the price if used only very occasionally, and if a long day in the rain isn't on the cards...

So how about this for an emergency "water resistant" jacket for light rain / wind?

https://www.pactimo.co.uk/collections/s ... acket-mens
    https://road.cc/content/review/120668-p ... ain-jacket

Just ordered one myself - had some Pactimo "points" so: half price + redeeming the points has got me the jacket for a tenner, delivered :lol:

That's what I had for a couple of years before getting a shakedry jacket. It does the job, but it's not really breathable - good for a sudden downpour or a consistent light rain when you're not working too hard, not great for those days where it's raining on and off the whole way and you're not prepared to stop every five minutes to be appropriately dressed.
  • rdt
    JamesEs wrote:
    That's what I had for a couple of years before getting a shakedry jacket. It does the job, but it's not really breathable - good for a sudden downpour or a consistent light rain when you're not working too hard, not great for those days where it's raining on and off the whole way and you're not prepared to stop every five minutes to be appropriately dressed.

Thanks. I've got it for a very specific job in mind: a multi-day easy-paced ride/tour, where it's v unlikely to rain all day, but if it does I'll have an another option...

If/when Gore produce a C7 Shakedry in a v bright colour, I'll get one of those.