Repurposing Worn Parts

voicycle
voicycle Posts: 95
edited January 2019 in Workshop
Hi - had a search but can't find what I'm looking for. Is there a collected thread on here where people share their ideas for how to repurpose worn or otherwise NFG parts? Obviously there are a million and one uses for things like inner tubes and old spokes, but what else? For example I often see people mention that they use an old alloy brompton seat post to extend the leverage on a breaker bar or ratchet handle...

Today's specific query is whether I should put an old square taper bottom bracket in the bin or keep it on hand for anything. Has a bit of play in it but still turns mostly smooth. I'd have left it in but was stripping the rest of the drivetrain anyway and decided to go ahead and replace.
Custom Albannach Torragar [BUILD IN PROGRESS]
2020 Ribble CGR SL
2019 Vitus Vitesse Evo CRS Disc

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I cannot begin to think of an alternative use for a worn out square taper BB. Chuck it in the metal recycling bin and move on.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    or sell it on ebay
  • I frequently use old inner tubes as clamps when building guitars. Like so:
    file.php?id=6137&mode=view

Chainrings in OK condition can become clocks:
    QfCLDPoqCzOwNHgPYeGn577Meao3PPVGXBBtA3CKG3LNTWjRP-nBeDFbJKKVe3wjtkpO4pCthXTG6MDyRvHqCit0FGtaJ4d4qW1vLyDyiHixd7F3cF5UvBbDIkgOViw9kCZCcX0J2g=w1200

You can hacksaw the teeth off chainrings and turn them into chainguards. this chainguard was originally a 41t chainring:
    UBTTOZLUmujdCn7azYQyCLpDHfkgloa6FkI89KvL7ffQAYZEqZhiUnVvgVDBYTlwElWFrSpaAFs2qBvvE4-Kkj32_kca3Xacny7bd5imPDu0O4lBDMmxkIVWyd_GzkOjqFHnYhz8LA=w1200

Sheldon Brown suggested using an old LH crank for stress-relieving spokes when building wheels:
    stress_crank.gif
  • Like Nick's work
    left the forum March 2023
  • These are all excellent Nick, thanks for sharing!
    Custom Albannach Torragar [BUILD IN PROGRESS]
    2020 Ribble CGR SL
    2019 Vitus Vitesse Evo CRS Disc
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    There was flyer in my LBS recently for someone trying to sell worn out cassettes with a candle stuck in the middle for £30 :lol:
  • I forgot this one, which was made by a friend. He gave each of the local bike shops a bucket and asked them to save worn-out cassettes for him, and then he welds them together in various shapes. He makes quite good lampshades from them, which he sells at a local craft market, and we bought this sphere from him and hung it in our garden.

Uy4ILo8q-M5-6nGJ8Ec95K6DTohxuvDmgzXSSeJFYR1Ku45WReInHcCCcRIOFmU2P9PHzBP6HLt48Fp1wAbby8X299BQ7z3GFlj8PEk_kTThnd2qL3-wzZWAQkc9cQo0ta3fYMsbXw=w1200
  • Cassette sprockets can used as throwing stars, keep a few in your jersey pocket for close passes.
    Front sprockets can be fixed onto the end of a shaft and popped into a drill for mixing plaster or cement.
    Inner tubes can be used for garden ties or even grips on home made tools.
    Make a chain whip next time you replace the chain; drill a couple of holes in a 300mm length of 3x30 steel bar and use an inner tube as the grip.
    Wheels could be fitted with blades made from down-pipe and connected up to a car alternator to power the shed.
    or just sell it all as barely used on ebay!