CX bike plagued by sticks

Moonbiker
Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
edited May 2019 in Workshop
Destroyed 2 rear mechs now & a hanger from sticks jumping up over the last yr

If I downgrade to this ebay special job will it work ok with 5700 sti?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MTB-Road-Mou ... :rk:3:pf:0

Assume its a fake copy of the shimano acera?

447.jpg

Lots of singletrack in the forest trouble is pesky sticks everywhere.

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I'd say that should work with 5700, yeah. 9 speed shimano works with old ten speed road stuff.

Not risking much cash if you're wrong. I'd be interested to hear how you get on....
  • Moonbiker
    Thanks will give it a go ans report back.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited January 2019
    Typical scam, claim UK location but with that postage time I'll bet it comes from China!*

Why not get a decent used MTB rear mech, SLX, XT or even XTR?

*Seller information:
    Business seller information
    Yanning Chen
    shekoujiedaobinhaiyuan8dong
    518053 深圳市
    China

And buyer pays return postage (more than it's worth, so effectively no warranty).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • timothyw
    The Rookie wrote:
    Typical scam, claim UK location but with that postage time I'll bet it comes from China!*

I'm going to go out on a limb and say because it would cost (at least) twice as much. I don't think there are many people willing to sell off their old MTB kit for less than a tenner - that's what the parts bin on the shelf is for....

And obviously the OP is quite cost sensitive otherwise they wouldn't be looking at cheap knockoff derailleurs for £6.89 (when the genuine acera derailleur is under £14 also on ebay).

And picking your line better can only help so much when there are sticks 'everywhere'.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Rookie wrote:

*Seller information:
    Yanning Chen
    518053 深圳市
    China

And buyer pays return postage (more than it's worth, so effectively no warranty).

More likely a drop shipper. So sent from a UK warehouse/fulfilment centre. On principle I won't use anyone not based in the UK though. Standard reply (if you actually get one) is something along the lines of 'We like you to be happy' and generally ends up with an Ebay case opened.

As for picking lines, it's more a case of using you enhanced Spidey sense to know you've picked up a stick and stop pedalling before damage is caused.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    What might help is something like shown in these photos. Cheap, easy to install and many choices. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=re ... &FORM=IGRE
  • Any 9 speed MTB Shimano derailleur will work fine with 10 speed STIs. I like the Shadow XT, which I have had on my bike for a few years now and it is very robust
    left the forum March 2023
  • The Rookie
    cooldad wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

*Seller information:
    Yanning Chen
    518053 深圳市
    China

More likely a drop shipper. So sent from a UK warehouse/fulfilment centre.
    Having been bitten by a few that came from China (and arrived late), I don't think many use a local dispatch, its disingenuous anyway as a UK declared seller (via search) should have a UK address for returns.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    I agree that's why I won't use them. Bloody annoying doing a UK only search and half of them are based in China.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Moonbiker
    ORDER DATE
    08 Jan, 2019

ORDER TOTAL
    £6.89
    Free postage
    Order MTB Road Mountain Bike Cycling Bicycle 9 Speed Rear Derailleur Part Accessory UK

Estimated delivery Wed, 16 Jan - Fri, 18 Jan

Postage carrier Royal Mail

This item has been dispatched.

Do thoose guards actually work against sticks, I have one somewhere.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Moonbiker wrote:
    ORDER DATE
    08 Jan, 2019
    ORDER TOTAL
    £6.89
    Free postage
    Order MTB Road Mountain Bike Cycling Bicycle 9 Speed Rear Derailleur Part Accessory UK
    Estimated delivery Wed, 16 Jan - Fri, 18 Jan
    Postage carrier Royal Mail
    This item has been dispatched.
    I take it you read this:-
    3.Our price not included the tax ,it is buyer's duty
    in their T&Cs?
    If it gets stopped at customs on top of Tax you'll get stung about £8 "handling Fee" by Royal Mail!
    Ended up costing me an extra £15 for some Jagwire cables I thought were from the UK :roll:
  • cooldad
    Still pretty sure it's a dropshipper, and stuff will be sent from a warehouse in the Uk.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Rarely, the guard the body but not the plates lower down which are the bits that usually get damaged by sticks, they protect the mechs on kids bikes from kids who just drop the bike on their sides (mech down).
  • Moonbiker
    Well it hasn't arrived yet must be on the slow boat from china so looking around for another one :oops:

Previous one that broke was deore before that had 5700.

Im thinking a short cage might be less likely to snag on sticks?

EDIT

Im not sure if thoose UK £14 acera ones are fake r not as they say they come unboxed so im thinking fake.

So looks like either 105: £29 5701 if I want short cage, or £26 deore .
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Well it hasn't arrived yet must be on the slow boat from china so looking around for another one :oops:

Previous one that broke was deore before that had 5700.

Im thinking a short cage might be less likely to snag on sticks?

EDIT

Im not sure if thoose UK £14 acera ones are fake r not as they say they come unboxed so im thinking fake.

So looks like either 105: £29 5701 if I want short cage, or £26 deore .

Unboxed doesn’t mean fake necessarily. Bike companies buy in bulk and routinely sell off unused stock.
  • timothyw
    Yeah, I don't see how being boxed makes it any less likely to be a fake to be honest. If someone can fake a derailleur, they can probably fake a box....

But yeah, it's common for bike shops, particularly online, to sell unboxed component intended for bike builders (so when Canyon buy their shimano groupsets they don't come in all the fancy boxes....) and these will usually arrive in a little bubble wrap bag.

This can make it hard to compare like with like for some components - boxed road shifters come with a complete set of cable and outers, OEM shifters often only come with gear cable inners.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Someone would have to be pretty desperate to want to fake a £14 Acera mech. OEM kit never comes boxed.
  • Moonbiker
    Well the £6 fake acera one arrived & a pivot bolt fell out when I fitted it so its useless.
  • cooldad
    What a surprise.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Well the £6 fake acera one arrived & a pivot bolt fell out when I fitted it so its useless.

Re-fit the pivot bolt, maybe..?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Any 9 speed MTB Shimano derailleur will work fine with 10 speed STIs. I like the Shadow XT, which I have had on my bike for a few years now and it is very robust

I've fitted an Alivio 9 speed Shadow RD and a 9 speed MTB cassette to my winter bike which has 9 speed Tiagra 4500 STIs. Thought I had it all shifting nicely on the stand, but yesterday on its maiden voyage it all went a bit Pete Tong.

It's fine for the 5 smallest sprockets, and if I click all the way down it's fine in the 36t dinner plate lowest gear. But in between it's all a bit unpredictable and it's skipping.

Have I overlooked something in terms of compatibility? I thought I was safe with 9 speed road shifters and 9 speed MTB RD and cassette?

I chose this RD because it has a barrel adjuster unlike some. But I notice it's at an angle so the loop of outer cable goes kind of sideways as well as up. Looks a bit odd and it's possible I need to make it shorter.

I think I could also safely take a link out of the chain.

But before doing any of that I'll check the hanger alignment. Which is what I should have done before fitting any of it. Lesson learned