New wheel decision but trying not to make this another aero or lightweight query

cam77
cam77 Posts: 5
edited January 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi, I’m looking for a bit of advice in terms of wheel choice. I could have some cash burning a hole in my pocket in the not too distant future and am looking for a peer review that I’m going to make the correct general decision to follow up the countless posts and articles on lightweight vs aero that I’ve read.

Firstly, a bit about me, 6ft4 and 93 kilos riding a non aero SLS carbon Boardman bike that for all intents and purposes is approx. 8kg, which isn’t too bad for its XL size and 105 spec. This is very much the weekend/sportive bike and wont see any action until March at the very earliest. Don’t have a power meter, however my rides normally average around 16-19mph (25-30kph) depending on conditions for a 50mile (80k) route with about 3000ft climbing (1000m). These routes are based around my area in the west of Scotland so undulating terrain and a westerly breeze are almost always present.

Currently have a set of Zonda’s on the bike, that may get kept regardless, and have been fantastic, and although I’m not getting any younger with my best days way behind me now, while I still have some juice flowing to capture the occasional KOM, I have my heart set on set of 50mm carbon, or part carbon hoops. My search started at Campag Bullets which are about my budget, and have looked at similar mainstream brands around the same price area, as well as direct wheel builders such as Hunt, Cero etc. These have caught my eye https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/wheels/ ... elset-8816

Only real requirement in any regard is that I’m wanting to try out the new GP5000’s TL so Tubeless capable/ready would be preferred.

Given my weight, which I am currently reducing to get back below 90k, I’m never going to be a lightweight and so hills will always be a bit of burden to me, however I can gain extra speed by going aero on the flats/downhills and slight inclines, hence the consideration of aero wheels right? So is 50mm the sweet spot in terms of gain/stiffness/lightness against the crosswind factors either direct from nature, or from passing heavy vehicles such as artics and buses, or given my weight and speed, should I be looking at something more at 40mm depth, or dispense with aero and lightweight and consider something a high quality but low rim depth?

At the point now where I have information overload so any clarity/advice would be greatly welcome.

Cheers

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Aero is almost always preferable to lightweight in terms of speed gain for a given course, with the exception of a full on tour mountain stage.

I'm fairly sure that this becomes all the more true the heavier the rider is as the amount of weight saved is a smaller percentage of the total weight (and fundamentally, lightweight wheels to some extent are weaker - nothing is slower than being stuck at the side of the road with broken wheels).

So yeah, get some aero wheels, and enjoy, but likely better improvements could be made if you put the money towards a power meter and some proper training (be that coached, or simply a week riding in the Alps...)

As an aside, if you do start competing, you're more likely to succeed at time trials than hill climbs, so better the aero wheels than light ones.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Have a look at the offerings from Zuus, e.g. https://www.zuus.co.uk/zuus-pro-carbon- ... rake-50mm/

These are really nice wheels with good components and warranty.

Needs to be black or no logos.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    50mm deep and 1399 grams for the Cero RC50's. What's the catch aside from the dodgy graphics?
  • I'd be wanting more than 20 spokes if I were 90kg
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    for aero deeper is better. sadly deeper means a stiffer rim which is more prone to brake rub. the way around this is a hub with a large NDS bracing angle (look for the length of the NDS end cap the longer it is the lower the NDS bracing angle) and more spokes.

So the deeper the rim the more spokes that are needed. however 24 rear spokes is enough for a 50mm deep rim on a hub with 54mm or better flange seperation sorry to get specific here.

Your 90 kg does mean more spokes is going to be better for you in the long run. Shallower rims are less stiff and more spoke flex will result (less brake rub actually) and spoke failure will happen sooner all things being equal which they are probably not.

Aero wheels are the only way to gain pace.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cam77
    cam77 Posts: 5
    thanks for all the responses and the comment on spokes and weight limit is very valid, thanks!

Those Zuus wheels look good and have a sale on just now as well :D