Tour Down Under 2019

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,933
    So what happened to the aussie dwarf to roll in so far down?
    Great sprint from Viviani, came from a long way back, through the tiniest of gaps (lucky that wasn't Sagan he passed on the left or he'd have been in the barriers!!!) and won by a distance.
  • Viviani absolutely decimated them. Who was the red guy out front in the pics above?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Viviani absolutely decimated them. Who was the red guy out front in the pics above?
    Max Walscheid, Sunweb
  • inseine wrote:
    Viviani absolutely decimated them. Who was the red guy out front in the pics above?
    Max Walscheid, Sunweb

And is it his teammate who left just enough (maybe) of a gap for Viviani?
  • I just watched, or rather endured the full stage coverage from Ziggo Sports, recorded last night.
    Kind of them to let Liggett and McEwan's commentary go out live, instead of their Dutch commentators.

What a strange stage. Breakaway reeled in 40 plus kms from the finish, then it becomes a training jaunt for the next hour, before the usual 5km charge for the line.

There was a headwind and McEwan had warned of the dangers of opening up too early.
    Max Walscheid duly obliged.
    Viviani's finishing speed looked kms faster than anybody else.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    inseine wrote:
    Max Walscheid, Sunweb
    Sunweb are in red? That's going to take a lot of getting used to.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • GCN are doing live coverage on their facebook page.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Eurosport showing snooker. Again.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • inseine
    Bevin takes the win and the overall after most of the bunch come down in the closing meters. First win for CCC and he now has a lead that won’t be was y to overtake .
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    This race for me is like a few drops of dirty water to man desiccated by a desert
  • inseine
    This race for me is like a few drops of dirty water to man desiccated by a desert
    I like funny Vino'sGhost
  • Anyhow 2 stages done and my conclusion, so far, on the TDU: The only race to have a 5kms neutralized start and a 50km neutralized finish.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    inseine wrote:
    I like funny Vino'sGhost

He's underrated. Fully agree too, actually looking forward to the rest of the stages, including the one that doesn't look too bad but actually has like 3000m of climbing. Not an error either, Inrng mapped it to check!
  • ShutupJens wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    I like funny Vino'sGhost

He's underrated. Fully agree too, actually looking forward to the rest of the stages, including the one that doesn't look too bad but actually has like 3000m of climbing. Not an error either, Inrng mapped it to check!

Just finished watching again.
    A lap and a half of racing just not enough to be very selective.
    Danny van Poppel getting 4th is testimony to that.
  • Vino'sGhost
    ShutupJens wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    I like funny Vino'sGhost

Just finished watching again.
    A lap and a half of racing just not enough to be very selective.
    Danny van Poppel getting 4th is testimony to that.

But its pretty much a training camp for riders and support staff isn't it? Im still ridiculously grateful though......
  • Vino'sGhost
    Watched Eurosport’s half hour whilst doing my turbo warm up, phill Liggett and endless adds for opportunities to interfere with koalas didn’t even spoil the few moments of racing .

I’ve decided that the quick step and Efbikes are the smartest looking this year.
  • Gweeds wrote:

Almost as if the second biggest tournament is more important than a pre season cycling friendly
  • gweeds
    Gweeds wrote:

Almost as if the second biggest tournament is more important than a pre season cycling friendly

If it hadn't have been someone 'warming up' wearing jeans and a polo shirt with about 7 people in the audience I might have agreed with you.

The first time was a match from a 2015 tournament. So no.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • 20 riders over the Corkscrew makes it the least selective ascent to date.
    So, come Willunga and it's all down to a race among the usual suspects......minus a few of the usual suspects.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Gweeds wrote:

If it hadn't have been someone 'warming up' wearing jeans and a polo shirt with about 7 people in the audience I might have agreed with you.

I remember reading a few years ago that snooker is massive for Eurosport. 2017 snooker world championships had higher viewership than the TdF on ES.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    My dad couldn't care less about cycling. He actively follows snooker. I blame him! :lol:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • gweeds
    Stage 5 came with extra headbutts
  • Gweeds wrote:

And a broken race leader.
    Surprised they did that to their home town boy.
    The UCI making friends down under.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    . Philipsen sounded a bit embarrassed there. The

Is this a spoiler thread?
  • Vino'sGhost
    Gweeds wrote:

And a broken race leader.
    Surprised they did that to their home town boy.
    The UCI making friends down under.

Missed it, what happened?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Ewan crossed line first but relegated for headbutting 200m out, Philipsen given win.

Leader Bevin down 9km out and cut up badly, but got back into peloton to hold overall.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/videos/ra ... wsource=cl
  • Seems like this race has been on a loop for the past 7 years.
  • inseine
    Business as usual as Porte wins final stage over Poels (he was my pick) but Impey hangs on to take the overall. Rince and repeat.
  • ds2288
    ds2288 Posts: 36
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    I imagine every new season brings a new set of pressures to perform, but Richie Porte must be really feeling it this year. New team, getting on, elusive big win...
    At his best, he has climbed with Froome, Nibali and Quintana at their best - and he can always out-TT the latter 2. But now the arrival of Dumoulin,Thomas and Yates as GT winners - along with Roglic, Pinot, Bernal, etc all lurking in the wings (I’m excluding Bardet as I he’s not as strong a TTer)- the field of genuine GT contenders looks as competitive as ever.
    It would be a shame if Porte ended up without a GT win.

I agree. Not sure if he was aiming to actually win the TDU or just Willunga, but I was disappointed in his rides in all but the last day. I don’t know if the team got it wrong or if he himself struggles tactically, but he was never going to make up 20 seconds up Willunga.

He’ll have to have a great team at the TdF and some luck if he features this year. I’d think the route suits
  • They could save a lot of money by just recording one edition of this race and replaying it each January.
    Impey out climbs Woods Bennett etc and almost catches Poels for second.
    Willunga waste of time.