Glasses Recommendation

jonoM
jonoM Posts: 8
edited January 2019 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Long time lurker on the forum. I started back into Biking around a year ago and now its become a weekly event I thought it would be time to invest in some decent prescription cycling glasses. Can anybody recommend the best option for me? I'm thinking best option would be transitions as I do a lot of single track in pines and surrounding areas as well as fire roads and route 6. I currently do both day and night riding so a pair that would be good for both would be useful. I currently wear my old prescription glasses but these steam up quite quickly, and in the summer months have some cheap prescription polarised sunglasses. Don't really want to pay anymore than £200.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I use a small pump action spray called Fog Buster. It delivers an anti-mist solution onto your lens. Should be less than £7, and lasts ages as only a small amount us required. It works really well, but some conditions are just too intense for it to work 100% of the time. (I'm thinking cold days when you stop and open the neck hole on your jacket, the warm moist air floods up and fogs up your cold specs - not much can beat that).
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Optilabs here for the last 10 years.
    Old Motorcycling trick.Rub a tiny amount of washing up liquid onto your lens and polish in.Cheapest and most effective way of stopping lenses fogging.
    I've tried all the sprays etc over the years and non are much good.
  • jonoM
    Thanks, will definitely try the washing up liquid trick!!!

I've had a look on optilabs, just need to decide what type of lenses best suit my needs!!!
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    jonoM wrote:
    I've had a look on optilabs, just need to decide what type of lenses best suit my needs!!!
    I've used their Transitions(Photochromic) for almost 8 years and really rate them.Especially good on dull Winter days as they're near enough clear.I now have to have Variofocals too and am also impressed with my latest pair.
    My original pair were the Gold tinted(for MTB use) which were very good but I struggled going into Woodland etc hense the transitions on later pairs.
  • jonoM
    Thanks, will take a look
  • jonoM wrote:
    Thanks, will definitely try the washing up liquid trick!!!

They'll send you 3 x pairs of different glasses to try out the fit etc free of charge (with clear lenses in) - I did this and decided on the one I thought was going to be my 3rd choice based on the website as the fit was the best by a mile.
    Boardman Pro FS 650b | Boardman Team 29er HT | Specialized Tricross Sport
  • As an extra option you can pick up any pair of glasses and this company will fit prescription lenses for you.
    https://www.reglaze-glasses-direct.com/

I bought an oakley frame without lenses and used this company to put in transition lenses, think it cost me about £75 for the lenses, but depends on what extra coatings you have.

Really quick service too, sent my frames off on saturday and got them back by the end of the week.