On-board bike tools what do I need?

andyh01
andyh01 Posts: 599
edited January 2019 in Road buying advice
Ordered a new bike at last.
Tubeless 700c and 650B wheels/ tyres adventure bike Shimano ultegra.
What tools should I carry and best storage solutions?
Thinkng pump dual action is both normal air pump and c02 inflator isain bit any recommendations?
What over tools do I need?

Comments

• I speak for myself but I don't like to carry a large saddlebag so I try and get everything in a XS Top Peak, even the S is too big for me.
    In that I have one inner tube, puncture repair patches, glue and sandpaper. I have 1 CO2 cartridge and adaptor a 3mm,4mm and 5mm Alan key, a couple of cable ties and some cut up patches of old tyre in case of damaged tyre.
    I carry a small frame mounted pump that will get me out of trouble and on occasion a second spare inner tube in a back pocket. I should probably carry a small chain splitter tool but I don't. If you don't make sure you look after your chain and change regularly and have some taxi fare with you.
    That is it for me, only ever needed the taxi fare once in 30 years of cycling.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I just carry a very small multi-tool,tyre levers,tube,glue-less patches and a Co2 inflator/cartridge.TBH I could do away with the Multi-tool and just take a couple of Allen-keys but it really is so small it's not worth dumping.I always have my phone and £20 on me.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    I was hoping to fit all tools in a bottle keg mounted to the underside of frame as has bosses there, bit like a specialized swat box.
    Never had tubeless tyres before either.
    Any recommendations on which mini pump and do I need the c02 inflator or just hand pump
  • Just get a support vehicle to follow you, carry nothing
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • If your bike has through-axles on the wheels, don't forget your multi-tool or 5mm hex key... Like I managed to on Friday!

Fortunately I didn't have a fairy visit, because I'd probably have been stuffed (albeit I may have been able to get the innertube out and repair with the kit; pump and levers I did have in my jersey pocket).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    all of this sits in a small zippable bag except the 2 tubes

Multi tool with all the right sizes for the bike with built in chain splitter
    Patch kit
    Tyre boots
    2 x tyre levers
    2 lots of chain links
    Valve core wrench
    2 small cable ties
    2 suitable inner tubes for the bike.