What size bike 52 or 54...

kaytr
kaytr Posts: 4
edited January 2019 in Road buying advice
Hello,

I am stuck in the middle between sizes. I'm 5'7.5" and I have a 30" inseam. In your experience, what size would be recommended? I'm looking at Trek and Specialized. Go with smaller to be safe?

Thank you!

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Depends on the effective top tube length.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • stack and reach...
    just go and try some out and note the sizing (S&R) of those that fit. "size" as in 54,56 etc doesn't tell you it will fit.
  • The small.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    The smaller frame is likely to have a shorter head tube, so bars will be lower. You need to look at the overall dimensions, try them out and then decide. Stack and reach as above...eTT will broadly dictate reach, head tube the stack.

As a rule...you can make a small frame bigger, but you cant make a big frame smaller.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Im the same size as you and found that the spesh tarmac in a 52 was spot on.

Plus, I am relatively longer in the torso so often find myself needing one frame size for legs and another for reach.

A longer stem fixes that issue for me.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    im the same size as you and ride a 54cm Cervelo S2 and C3
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    I'm almost exactly the same height and inseam as you. I ride both a 52 and a 54. It really depends on the individual frame and the fit you want. You need to try both. You could probably ride either comfortably with a sight change to stem length.

Also, Trek and Specialized make loads of models with totally different geometries, a Tarmac and a Domane aren't going to be the same fit even if both are a 52cm frame. Which models are you looking at and what do you want fit wise?
  • kaytr
    kaytr Posts: 4
    AKH wrote:
    I'm almost exactly the same height and inseam as you. I ride both a 52 and a 54. It really depends on the individual frame and the fit you want. You need to try both. You could probably ride either comfortably with a sight change to stem length.

Also, Trek and Specialized make loads of models with totally different geometries, a Tarmac and a Domane aren't going to be the same fit even if both are a 52cm frame. Which models are you looking at and what do you want fit wise?

Looking at Emonda, Madone, and Tarmac...H1 geo
  • kaytr wrote:
    AKH wrote:

The 54 will ride like a plank of wood
    The 52 may be too aggressive geo for you
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • kaytr wrote:
    AKH wrote:

Try them.
  • skooter
    skooter Posts: 264
    Check your stand over size as well?
  • skooter wrote:
    Check your stand over size as well?

That's really not required. It's as dated as KOPS.