Tyre Help Needed

t0ny84
t0ny84 Posts: 7
edited January 2019 in MTB general
Hi all.

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong section. I did a search but couldn't find anything which was similar to my query. I put it in here because the bike in question is a mountain bike.

I have come in search for assistance. My daughter has recently started learning to ride and I have decided to dust off my old bike and do a bit of riding so when she gets better we can go cycling. Also using it to get into some form of better shape.

As my bike hasn't been used for a number (about 20) of years I am doing some general maintenance on it so it can be rideable. This is where I become unstuck. I need to replace both tires and inner tubes.

Now for the questions.

1) The bike had a 26" X 1.75 inch rim strip / spoke guard on it which has cracked and broken. When I went to the shop the man only had a 26" X 2.125 inch rim strip. They said ok to use as it will give more cover.
I am wondering if this is true or if I should return it before trying to put it on?

2) The original tires that were on it were
26" X 2.1". The tires I have been looking at are 26" X 1.9. Should I stick with the same size or would 26x1.9 be ok?

3) Also as a larger person should I stick with the same size currently on the bike / go larger or would smaller width tires be ok. E.g. 26" X 1.95".

Also if it helps the type of riding I would be doing would be on roads and bike tracks no off road.

If I do more riding than once a month / every now and then I will be investing in a new / better bike but at the moment doing things myself to learn and to make it cheaper. Don't want to invest majorly into the bike if it will end up just sitting and gathering dust.

Thanks in advance for any guidance and suggestions.

t0ny84

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not sure how wide xxx is? But as long as it just covers the well it should be fine.

Tyres should fit fine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • t0ny84
    Wow you guys are quick! I accidentally submitted before I finished and just finished editing it.

Thanks for the tips and advice. Would wider tires be better for a larger rider?

Thanks again.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    t0ny84 wrote:
    W.............. Would wider tires be better for a larger rider?

They will give you a bit more cushioning, but if you are only comparing 1.9 with 2.1, it won't make much difference.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Define `larger rider`.

If your bike is that old you may find that bits have worn/rusted/fallen off. Just need to make sure it is fit for purpose.

As for tyres - 2.1's would be good but as has been said, the difference between 1.9 and 2.1 isn't huge.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • t0ny84
    Thanks for the guidance everyone. Went with 1.95 diameter. Chains lubed and going great. Just need a new helmet and hand grips and then ready to go for a good ride.