Removing and replacing helicopter tape

barongreenback
barongreenback Posts: 229
edited January 2019 in Workshop
Morning all

I have some helicopter tape protecting my drive side chain stay on a matte frame - came with the bike. I bit of grot/water/crud had got underneath and it's starting to bubble and look untidy. Before it fails completely, is there any tried and tested way of removing the tape without damaging the paintwork? And is anyone aware of any nice pre-cut strips as a replacement?

Thanks

Comments

• I usually use a hair dryer for applying and removal, it seems to help release the glue. Be slow and careful, it did take off a slight part of the decals from my SRAM Red crankset.

For chainstays I always use these: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/bike-shield-stay-shield-pack/?sku=87434

Last 2 bikes have remained intact and not lifted, they do a pack with other pre cut parts but they were out of stock when I last looked
  • Thanks - will give that a try
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    If the edge is coming up, get some Autoglym Tar Remover on a paper towel and pat it there, that'll lift it.

I doubt on a matt paint job you'll have a problem anyway, I have seen copter tape pull off the finish of a gloss bike, but only cos it wasn't taken off with any care, and even then probably wouldn't have happened on a different paint job.

That Autoglym Tar Remover is brilliant at removing glue and residue, leave it to do its magic for a moment after putting it on. It's handy stuff to have around (works well for its intended use too).

As far as matt copter tape goes, I've never found any that's anywhere near as good as the gloss stuff, I don't know why but nobody seems to make any that really sticks well. I'd just go for gloss tape and wrap the chainstay without doing an overlap. You'll ignore it in time that it looks gloss. The best stuff is generally BikeTart and Zefal. Wetting the glue side in a dish of soapy water first helps make things more forgiving when placing. Then hairdryer it when all the bubbles are pushed out. Try to cut the corners rounded off a little too, that saves them lifting.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Tar remover is the kiddie, as stated above.
  • Thanks again. Existing tape is gloss so no problem to replace like for like. Think I have some of the tar remover already, which is handy.