Lubricate pivot points on brakes and derailleurs - yea or nay?

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
edited January 2019 in Workshop
I've pretty much always done this after any thorough cleaning, probably because Richard Ballantine or someone like that told me to do it in a book about 30 years ago.. A drop of oil on all the pivots, maybe some grease on the springs, wiping away any excess of course.

But is it really necessary with modern groupsets or are the bushings/pivots sufficiently frictionless to work fine without any lubrication?

Comments

• Probably not necessary but I too do it. Also always leave derailleurs on smallest cog so the spring is not under tension :oops:
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    diplodicus wrote:
    Probably not necessary but I too do it. Also always leave derailleurs on smallest cog so the spring is not under tension :oops:
    I really have to force myself not to do that even with electronic gears.. :D

Still sensible for mechanical though, for the cables as much as the springs I think?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I used to do this but haven't bothered for years. I suspect the lube attracts more dust/mud than does benefit...
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    I do but then im an over cleaner, and use degreaser regularly.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I could never be described as an over-cleaner, but I still do the lubrication thing. I'm pathological about removing any excess afterwards though (easier said than done for some of the derailleur pivots) otherwise it does just attract dirt.

I've encountered plenty of sticky mechs and calipers on other peoples bikes, but never had one of mine seize up, so it may actually be beneficial.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    edited January 2019
    I should perhaps expand a little - I have never had any issue with the parallelogram pivots or spring, the only thing I find does get a bit sticky are the main pivot bolts on the rear mech of my winter bike. Every couple of years usually. It's a chore to dismantle them though so I try to avoid messing with them unless they are beginning to affect the shifting - usually by allowing the chain to slacken when in the little ring.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    ah yes Svetty that flapping chain pain.