Could I change my bike to a 1x system?

bongofish
bongofish Posts: 123
edited January 2019 in Road beginners
So on my new boardman adv adventure bike I have never gone into the harder front ring. I don’t really even use the hard gears in the easy front ring unless I’m on a slight downhill and it gets me to 20+mph and I don’t really want to go much faster to be honest. Is it possible to change to a 1x system and would this also shed some weight?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    edited January 2019
    yes - swap front chainring to 1x jobbie so your chain doesn't fall off, adjust/remove the necessary and off you go.

i'm doing this to my boardman as we speak.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    some excellent advice in here.

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13100753
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I would just leave it as it is. Use the gears you want to use. You may only use those gears now, but not to say you won't use other gears as you progress. No worthwhile weight to be saved by losing the big ring, IMO..
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Bongofish wrote:
    So on my new boardman adv adventure bike I have never gone into the harder front ring. I don’t really even use the hard gears in the easy front ring unless I’m on a slight downhill and it gets me to 20+mph and I don’t really want to go much faster to be honest.....

HTFU! :D:wink:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    What sort of riding are you doing road or off road?
    If just starting out on road I'd stay with the 2x.
    What gearing does it have? Perhaps swap the rear cassette for say 12-32 depending on the derailur, once the rear cassette has worn out, perhaps also look to swap the front chainset rings to semi compact or compact.
    The weight saving is a red herring.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Why don't you want to go much faster than 20mph ? How are you going to cope on downhills that take you over that speed without pedalling.

Personally I'd leave the bike as is. Why spend money to make it less useful than it is already ? There's bugger all weight saving to be had in doing this.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    If its new I would keep riding as it is. I know for me in winter I dont don the brave pants and go hooning round, damp, dead leaves/animals/people in the road potholes that spring up over night.

Just ride for now build up your confidence power etc an youll soon find your riding over 20mph without realising.

If you do decide to move to 1X, weight saving is going to be from one less ring, the mech and a cabling, not a huge amount to be totally honest.
    All you would need really is a new ring in narrow wide variety which works best with 1X. and some shorter chainring bolts.