Hitting pot small pot holes and rough roads feels like I’m damaging bike

bongofish
bongofish Posts: 123
edited January 2019 in Road beginners
So if you’ve read my other posts you may know I’ve just bought a boardman adv 8.8 adventure bike.

I’m a very keen mountain bike rider but this is my first step into road riding. I’m surprised that even with the bigger adventure schwalbe g all round tyres on at 38c when I hit rough road patches or a pot while it feels like the bike will get damaged or the wheels dinted. Is this just psychological and it’s all fine?

Also is it better to put a rucksack on back with inner tube and pump and toolkit or attach it to bike? Which makes it feel easier up hill? To have equipment on your bike or to get as much as possible on the bike which will make the physical bike heavier?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Use a seatpack, or just put stuff in your back pockets (if you have a jersey/jacket with back pockets). Potholes are best anticipated/avoided, but hitting one should not result in any more damage than perhaps a pinch-flat or similar. (obviously depends on your speed and the size/depth of the hole).
  • Weight on you, weight on the bike, it makes no difference.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Check out footage of Paris Roubaix....

Don't use a backpack - weight is too high up. Jersey pockets or saddle pack.
  • With a rucksack on your back, you are much more prone to overheat, especially up the hills... Unless you intend to take it very steady.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Saddlebag, seat wrap or tool bottle. Also one less thing to remember to take out with you as its always on the bike. Just remember to replace what you use.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Experiment with tyre pressures. After a few pinch flats you'll have a feel for how low you can get away with.

Tools and stuff on the bike or in jersey pockets
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I'm afraid it's another HTFU from me! ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Pot holes are a pain but seemingly inevitably everywhere today, given the lack of road funding local authorities have in the current climate. I wouldn't worry about your bike though. As others have said, usually it is the inner tube which takes the hit. Or if you are unlucky the wheel will need truing.
    Definitely make sure you take some spare tubes and pump with you though. I prefer using a saddle bag just because it stays on the bike so no chance i would forget them.