Different size tyres

bongofish
bongofish Posts: 123
edited January 2019 in Road beginners
So on my new gravel bike I have got schwalbe 38c all round tyres. I’ve never rode a road bike like this before and found it a big improvement over using my mountain bike for local road and slight gravel. But today I had a go on my father in laws full on road bike. Nothing super special but it had the standard thin slick tyres on and it felt next level again on the hills.
So my question is could I keep the schwalbe g all round on front and something thinner and slicker on rear? Kind of like we do in the MTB world . Faster rolling at rear and grippy upfront?

Would this work and if so any recommendations?

Cheers

Comments

• bongofish
    Why feel odd? It’s pretty normal to do this with mtb run a 2.3 on back and then on front a 2.5-2.6.

Not saying I want a 25mm on back but maybe a slicker 33mm or 35mm in back?
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Wouldn't the lack of grip on the rear be a problem off-road?
  • bongofish
    Not massively for the off road stuff I do in this bike. I have full suspension bikes for anything more than gravel paths
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If you only ride gravel paths, then just fit a pair of Spec Roubaix Pro 30s front and rear....
  • bongofish
    Imposter wrote:
    If you only ride gravel paths, then just fit a pair of Spec Roubaix Pro 30s front and rear....

These look good. Would one on the back work and keep the slightly grippier fat tyre upfront?
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    I only recently discovered that a larger tyre on the front is a common mountain bike thing. My brother mentioned it to me as I was looking at his new mountain bike. I've never heard of it on a road bike and I think most road riders would look at you in amazement if you suggested it. Normally if there is a tyre size difference on a road bike, the front is narrower for better aerodynamics (how applicable this is to amateurs is a whole other debate).
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bongofish wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

These look good. Would one on the back work and keep the slightly grippier fat tyre upfront?

It would work fine, but I'd just warn against expecting too much from having a bigger tyre upfront. Disparate tyres are common in MTB, motocross, most sports bikes, etc for all kinds of reasons. Best thing to do is try it and see how you get on..
  • bongofish
    Imposter wrote:

Bought one of these last in stock at one place. In the 30/32 size they are hard to find!
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I would think the main reason for it feeling better on the hills has more to do with bike weight and also how 'stiff' the whole setup is.

Decent light wheels make a difference when climbing - you feel every effort has a direct response in climbing. If the wheels are heavier and have some 'give', then there's a lot more effort involved. Think of it as a less severe comparison of riding a hardtail uphill on a well packed trail - against riding a full-suss on something softer.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    AKH wrote:
    I've never heard of it on a road bike and I think most road riders would look at you in amazement if you suggested it. Normally if there is a tyre size difference on a road bike, the front is narrower for better aerodynamics (how applicable this is to amateurs is a whole other debate).

I have a 23mm tyre on the rear of my CR1 and a 25 at the front. I did have Pro4 SC 25s all round but I was getting some scrapes on the insides of the chainstays. A 23mm tyre gives me vital extra clearance, and the 25 up front is fine and soaks up a bit more road buzz.

Nothing about me or my bikes is aerodynamic... :D
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,673
    Imposter wrote:
    Best thing to do is try it and see how you get on..
    This, and it sounds like you are going to. But please let us know how you get on.