Sky Grand Tour plans 2019

2»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    chrisw12 wrote:
    I think what Rich is trying to say is, you either win the tour multiple times and dominate or you win then struggle to win or get anywhere in the next tour.

Like the often said cliche, it’s easy to win the first time, it’s following up that’s hard.

I think my Ullrich example is interesting as he was pencilled in to dominate for years but we all know how that went. Would he have fallen into the multiple champion group if drugs didn’t become an even bigger player....
    It's more that a first time winner attains a celebrity outside the sport and all that entails - the media, the book, the chat shows, the award ceremonies, the guest of honour invitations etc. As a result they don't approach their season they way they had a year earlier and they're playing catch up all season.
    Second time around there's less attention, they turn more down and know how to handle it all better.

This is largely true of all sports.

I bet every time Thomas appeared on TV Froome had a little smile to himself.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Yes, agree. Ullrich being the perfect example of your theory (I assume this is what be did, I never met the bloke but he did gain a ‘reputation’)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    andyp wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I'd be surprised if he is being sent there as team leader with anything less than a podium being expected, especially given the sponsor situation.

I doubt it. Sky don't put unnecessary pressure on younger riders. Bernal clearly has talent to burn, but he's inexperienced in GTs and they won't put undue pressure on him to perform.

He's going in as team leader for the most successful Grand Tour team of recent years - I'd say the expectation is that he has a realistic chance of winning and they'll ride accordingly until proven otherwise. He's not the favourite but if he can finish 15th in a support role then a year on as leader he is a genuine contender.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    andyp wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I'd be surprised if he is being sent there as team leader with anything less than a podium being expected, especially given the sponsor situation.

I doubt it. Sky don't put unnecessary pressure on younger riders. Bernal clearly has talent to burn, but he's inexperienced in GTs and they won't put undue pressure on him to perform.

He's going in as team leader for the most successful Grand Tour team of recent years - I'd say the expectation is that he has a realistic chance of winning and they'll ride accordingly until proven otherwise. He's not the favourite but if he can finish 15th in a support role then a year on as leader he is a genuine contender.
    He lost 16 minutes crashing on the cobbles as well.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,605
    RichN95 wrote:

Kind of suprising that Thomas has two immediate examples to follow - the post tour party route of Wiggins and the head down and crack on approach of Froome, and he chose the former.

Consiously, or subconsiously(?) taking the wider career path rather than focusing on palmares?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • RichN95.
    CarbonClem wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Kind of suprising that Thomas has two immediate examples to follow - the post tour party route of Wiggins and the head down and crack on approach of Froome, and he chose the former.

Consiously, or subconsiously(?) taking the wider career path rather than focusing on palmares?
    I think even Froome took most of the last part of 2013 off.

I think that deep down Thomas knows that the chances are he'll be a one-time winner so he should make the most of it while he can.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    RichN95 wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I think even Froome took most of the last part of 2013 off.

I think that deep down Thomas knows that the chances are he'll be a one-time winner so he should make the most of it while he can.
    Unfortunately that seems like a fair assessment
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Froome also had the anger of believing he would have won in 2012, if the team had let him as a motivating factor.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • carbonclem
    I reckon a month off for Wiggins and Thomas is a month on the razz. A month off for Froome is a chance to train an extra hour each day without Team Sky moaning for doing too much :D
  • To me it makes sense for Sky to send both Thomas and Froome to the Tour.

At worst they win it with one of them but in a sponsors eyes 2nd place in the Tour is worth more than a Giro or Vuelta win unless the sponsor is based in either Italy or Spain so both on the podium is a great thing.

The coverage Sky as a sponsor will get from Froome & Thomas 'challenging' each other for the win is perfect for them to prove the exposure a new sponsor will get.

I also believe Thomas will be ready for the Tour as he knows where he has to be to win the Tour but does no longer has the pressure to prove his Team Leader status in the team in build-up races.

I'm guessing Froome will do the Dauphine and Thomas the TdS before they meet up at the tour. If they both win their respective races the media build up around them will be huge.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042

The coverage Sky as a sponsor will get from Froome & Thomas 'challenging' each other for the win is perfect for them to prove the exposure a new sponsor will get.

I agree with others, July will be a bit late for looking for sponsors, the Sky riders will all want contracts by then, they won't want to be looking in the autumn for a new gig.

45 million sounds a bit expensive for a clapped out bus, a couple of geriatric stars and a team jag with a dent in the bumper.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    davidof wrote:

I agree with others, July will be a bit late for looking for sponsors, the Sky riders will all want contracts by then, they won't want to be looking in the autumn for a new gig.

45 million sounds a bit expensive for a clapped out bus, a couple of geriatric stars and a team jag with a dent in the bumper.
    Not even a Jag, been Ford for a couple of years....
  • carbonclem
    Thomas ‘may’ ride The Giro apparently?
  • m.r.m.
    Would be the better choice for his palmares.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    M.R.M. wrote:

Very strange given that people were talking about him being behind schedule for the Tour.

If he is considering the Giro I suspect that is because he's been made aware he will play second fiddle to Froome in France.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • If he's going to do the Giro with the hopes of winning then surely he needs to get back on the bike soon? Still seems to be having big brunches and going to basketball games in the states.

Can imagine Nibali and Dumoulin emulating the training montage in Rocky IV at the moment to get themselves ready.
  • RichN95.
    If he's going to do the Giro with the hopes of winning then surely he needs to get back on the bike soon? Still seems to be having big brunches and going to basketball games in the states.

Can imagine Nibali and Dumoulin emulating the training montage in Rocky IV at the moment to get themselves ready.
    He's still on his victory lap. He's doing a show with Ned Boulting in Cardiff a week Saturday.
  • m.r.m.
    M.R.M. wrote:

Very strange given that people were talking about him being behind schedule for the Tour.

If he is considering the Giro I suspect that is because he's been made aware he will play second fiddle to Froome in France.

I figure it's better to try to win the Giro against weaker competition than try for the Tour and be second fiddle to Froome. I personally give him no shot at winning the 2019 Tour.
  • I would give him a better shot at the Tour than the Giro, he only needs Froomey and Titchey (practically a given) to fall off there, much more competition specifically targeting the Giro.
  • RichN95.
    I would give him a better shot at the Tour than the Giro, he only needs Froomey and Titchey (practically a given) to fall off there, much more competition specifically targeting the Giro.
    I expect Quintana to be a force again - especially with a lot at over 2000m altitude
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Bring on the Columbians
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Bring on the Columbians
    2599191_Black?wid=400&hei=400&op_sharpen=1&fmt=jpeg&qlt=85,1&op_sharpen=0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=1,0.8,6,0&fmt=jpeg&qlt=85,1&op_sharpen=0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=1,0.8,6,0&fmt=jpeg&qlt=85,1&op_sharpen=0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=1,0.8,6,0&fmt=jpeg&qlt=85,1&op_sharpen=0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=1,0.8,6,0
    2877645_Black?wid=400&hei=400&op_sharpen=1&fmt=jpeg&qlt=85,1&op_sharpen=0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=1,0.8,6,0&fmt=jpeg&qlt=85,1&op_sharpen=0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=1,0.8,6,0&fmt=jpeg&qlt=85,1&op_sharpen=0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=1,0.8,6,0&fmt=jpeg&qlt=85,1&op_sharpen=0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=1,0.8,6,0
    2852894_Black?wid=400&hei=400&op_sharpen=1&fmt=jpeg&qlt=85,1&op_sharpen=0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=1,0.8,6,0&fmt=jpeg&qlt=85,1&op_sharpen=0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=1,0.8,6,0&fmt=jpeg&qlt=85,1&op_sharpen=0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=1,0.8,6,0&fmt=jpeg&qlt=85,1&op_sharpen=0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=1,0.8,6,0
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    thats them
    :)