Garmin fenix 5 good for biking?

2»

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Thanks for the link. I have actually already enquired but the seller hasn't responded.

I have found the sapphire 5s for £370 from a store so once I finally pick between the two if i go garmin I will probably go for that.
  • redvision
    Just a quick update.
    Resisted the galaxy watch and bought a fenix 5s (for under £300, which seemed an absolute bargain).

However, not sure yet if I will keep or return. The width of the 5s is actually ok (I have pretty small wrists and the size of the watch was a concern) but it is quite high and even just trying it on kept catching my sleeve (for a comparison it's about 50% higher than the fitbit charge 2). Also the silver bezel is very shiny and I suspect will scratch very easily (especially using it as a daily watch as it will keep catching sleeves, buttons, cufflinks etc). Wish I had gone for the black and grey but it wasn't available in the sale.

Anyway, I'm going to play about with it today and make a decision. For the price I know it's a bargain and I'm hopeful that my concerns are not actually a problem when using it.
  • redvision
    So, i think i will be returning it as i think i have a faulty unit. When playing about with the Fenix on the weekend i really struggled to get it to fix on to the location. Tried all the suggestions on the garmin forum but it wouldnt pick up gps at all in the house (i made sure it was selected and also Glonass) despite the fact that my wahoo and phone had no problems. Thinking i am never going to use it in the house i managed to get in to the garden and it took more than 10mins to lock on to the satellite. Tried it again this morning (hoping it may have been a first time use gremlin) and it has been outside for more than 30mins but still not found a satellite.

Wasn't really sold on it anyway due to it's height (which i knew was big but didn't anticipate it would catch my sleeves quite so much - to the point of becoming a nuisance tbh) but as this one appears faulty i think i will be returning it :(