What to do?.

westonpark
westonpark Posts: 57
edited January 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Evening

I have a zesty 714, I think it’s a 2010 model, I bought it second hand a fair few years ago. It’s a nice bike but obviously old, should I upgrade it to a new/secondhand bike, or upgrade parts of it, if so which parts?

It’s standard with the exception of

Fulcrum Red Metal zero HH tubeless wheels
Easton Haven carbon bars (711mm)
Full XT brakeset ft & rear inc Shimano 180mm floating rotors
Thomson stem 70mm

It’s very light, sub 13kg, but out of date, it’s still running 3 front rings! Is it easy to update though????

Thoughts?

Cheers

Mike

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    What doesn’t it do that you would like it to do?
    Pointless expense updating just for the sake of it. Just replace/upgrade parts as they wear out or break.

I should add that the correct answer is buy a new bike. :wink:
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    edited January 2019
    Go 1x12 with a GX groupset. Do it yourself and it will not cost you more than £400. Don't be tempted to actually buy a pre-packaged groupset without first checking the individual prices elsewhere. I used the pre-pack groupset as a shopping list and found everything everywhere else for less money. don't forget that places Like Tredz do money off as standard when you spend more than £30.

It will transform your bike, lighter and with a tidier bar layout.

Then buy a dropper if you don't already have one.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Although it should be noted you need a new hub for a GX cassette but not for an NX one.
  • JBA wrote:
    What doesn’t it do that you would like it to do?
    Pointless expense updating just for the sake of it. Just replace/upgrade parts as they wear out or break.

I should add that the correct answer is buy a new bike. :wink:

Good question.

I'd like to drop to single ring set up. Ideally keeping the xt/xtr level of group set. Double ring set up would be with Di2.

Front fork is ok. Rear shock could do with a lock out option.

Dropper post.

I think that's it.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Me-109 wrote:
    Although it should be noted you need a new hub for a GX cassette but not for an NX one.

I agree and the £400 included the cost of a new freehub. I recommended the GX because I have done that conversion myself, but I haven't done the NX. From reviews, the GX seems to be a good blend of cost/performance and weight (IMO). You also get the full 5:1 ratio range.