DA 9000 and 9100 compatibility

OnTheRopes
OnTheRopes Posts: 460
edited January 2019 in Workshop
Aesthetically I prefer the look of 9000 but I have read that the 9100 FD is much slicker. I am building up a race bike atm and am considering a 9000 RD but wondering if using 9100 levers will affect its operation, same thoughts for FD if used with 9000 levers.
I will not be using a Shimano chainset so any other compatibility issues I need to consider?

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    Aesthetically I prefer the look of 9000 but I have read that the 9100 FD is much slicker. I am building up a race bike atm and am considering a 9000 RD but wondering if using 9100 levers will affect its operation, same thoughts for FD if used with 9000 levers.
    I will not be using a Shimano chainset so any other compatibility issues I need to consider?
    The front shift is similar - the main difference is that the FD9000 had the long lever which caused fouling on some frames. The FD R9100 does away with the lever - and has tension adjustment built in - but doesn't shift any better IME.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Svetty wrote:
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    The front shift is similar - the main difference is that the FD9000 had the long lever which caused fouling on some frames. The FD R9100 does away with the lever - and has tension adjustment built in - but doesn't shift any better IME.
    Cheers, so mix and match shouldn't cause any issues?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    No :D
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Svetty wrote:
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    No :D
    Cheers :)
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    9000/9100 are interoperable. the only benefit in terms of the derraileurs etc is the rear can go up to 30 tooth as standard on the 9100. in reality you can jam the b screw in on a 9000 one to do the same.
  • philbar72 wrote:
    9000/9100 are interoperable. the only benefit in terms of the derraileurs etc is the rear can go up to 30 tooth as standard on the 9100. in reality you can jam the b screw in on a 9000 one to do the same.
    Thanks for the additional info, I don't think I have ever needed more than 36x28 but it's nice to know just in case.