Sticky Monarch Plus Shock

Jgb1
Jgb1 Posts: 50
edited January 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a capra wirh a monarch plus shock. It was gine but has developed a sticky shock. It only happens on the first part of the stroke and only happens when in the low compression setting. It is okay in the mid and firm settings. I have stripped it down, cleaned it and relubed it and couldn't see anything obvious. Does any one have any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Maybe it is the pivots that are the problem, not the shock. If one of the pivot bearings has failed, then it may only stick at certain points in the shock's travel, giving the impression that the shock is the problem.

I have never had a shock exhibit that problem before, but I've had quite a few pivot bearings fail.

How old is the bike and are the pivot bearings the originals?
  • Jgb1
    Maybe it is the pivots that are the problem, not the shock. If one of the pivot bearings has failed, then it may only stick at certain points in the shock's travel, giving the impression that the shock is the problem.

I have never had a shock exhibit that problem before, but I've had quite a few pivot bearings fail.

It is a 2015 (the first of the aluminium ones) and I've had it from new and they have not been done so you maybe right. I have given the back end a pull to see if there is any movement and it still feels stiff. Is there another indication or would you recommend just changing them?
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Jgb1 wrote:

It is a 2015 (the first of the aluminium ones) and I've had it from new and they have not been done so you maybe right. I have given the back end a pull to see if there is any movement and it still feels stiff. Is there another indication or would you recommend just changing them?

It might be worth contacting one of the companies that maintain suspension to see what they say. I can't remember who does your brand of shock, but TF Tuned are very helpful indeed and will help you as much as they can over the phone.

Call 01373 826800
  • Jgb1
    Jgb1 wrote:

It might be worth contacting one of the companies that maintain suspension to see what they say. I can't remember who does your brand of shock, but TF Tuned are very helpful indeed and will help you as much as they can over the phone.

Call 01373 826800

I'll give them a call Wednesday. Thanks for your help.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Best way to check bearings is to unbolt one end of the shock (and remove if necessary) and check the suspension for free movement through it's travel without. A little bit of 'indexing' (where it tries to return to its main ride height) is OK.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.