monday with 2km of armoured fibre in a diplomatic bag

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,432
edited January 2019 in The bottom bracket
'ning

well, here it is, again, the year wobbles off in quantum ripples across this wraith some call reality, with yet another day of inchoate wittering on the news about fireworks around the world, bah, humbug

ride, i antici...

...pate coffee and a croissant

bubbly later, nothing else makes sense
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, fine morning and mildish , Jackies back at work today so I can please myself obviously a bike ride and some quiet relaxing later
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Morning, mildly hungover from yesterday's 7 hour lunch session. Us, 2 Scots and an Irishman. Would expect nothing less...
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Today’s plans involve cycling at least 30 miles to finish the year on a disappointing round number. Also agreed to go for a run and an outdoor swim with the current wife - so basically is a triathlon day.

Need to go booze shopping for a party tonight, each couple has put £40 in for ale, so should be a giggle
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Morning

Trying a short run today to see how my knee is, then need to clean some bikes.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    Off to Cambridge shortly to deal with colleges and cars. Fortunately traffic isn't too bad. Just need to amuse the hound when we get there so I'll take him to the car dealership :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Morning for el offico. Legs achey from a nice pedal yesterday. Thought I was doing well zipping along a stretch yesterday only to be left standing by some chap doing an easy 40kph, half tempted to wave angered fists but effort.

Anyway tonight should be hilarious, a swarm of travellers appeared in the town centre last night with their fleet of caravans and transit pickups outside what tonight will be the primary drinking area. I foresee this being absolute carnage angry drunks vs angry travellers vs angry police.
    Oddly enough I'm avoiding that having a relatively quiet night in with the OH, an a couple of friends.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Step83 wrote:
    Morning for el offico. Legs achey from a nice pedal yesterday. Thought I was doing well zipping along a stretch yesterday only to be left standing by some chap doing an easy 40kph, half tempted to wave angered fists but effort.

I would have stuck a stick in his front wheel, the b4stard.

I'm sure running is the best thing to test a bad knee.

Very cloudy but mild. Will be trying to keep the toots happy mostly but will be old banger tinkering.
    Hopefully a ride tomorrow whilst the locals are dying and the roads are the quietest.
    Mrs P bought a bottle of sparkly stuff but i'm not in the mood.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Today will be mostly prepping for tonight's Disney themed (4 y.o.s will be here, at least until they crash at what one hopes will be an early hour) party with selected family and friends. I think I will steal the show with my Princess Elsa costume.

No exercise today. Muscles ache after a big swimming session yesterday: chiropractor advised me to do more upper body work (and less cycling :shock: , which I interpret as do more of other stuff) to help with this shoulder clavicle issue I've developed. First big swim using arms as much as possible. Illuminating how strong have become legs compared with arms and back muscles. Is what cycling will do for you.
  • pinno
    I have a float 'Loon. I clamp it between my legs and swim arms only. Breast stroke aggravates my metal hips.
    If you do a few lengths like that, the abs don't half hurt.
  • thistle_
    orraloon wrote:
    Illuminating how strong have become legs compared with arms and back muscles. Is what cycling will do for you.
    Haven't been swimming for ages, found out the arms/back thing when I started doing time trials and having to try and stay in an aero position for 50 miles :roll:
    Supposed to be going to the gym to get big but it never happened.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Pinno wrote:
    Step83 wrote:

I would have stuck a stick in his front wheel, the b4stard.

I'm sure running is the best thing to test a bad knee.

Very cloudy but mild. Will be trying to keep the toots happy mostly but will be old banger tinkering.
    Hopefully a ride tomorrow whilst the locals are dying and the roads are the quietest.
    Mrs P bought a bottle of sparkly stuff but i'm not in the mood.

Laters.

Didnt really get chance he zoomed off so quick, the close by branches would have been rather useful though.
    Decided he was a mad man anyway bib shorts an short sleeve jersey. In his defence it is unseasonably warm of late, but still, mad man.

I feel your pain (snigger) with running not so much the knee more the Dysplasia of the hip, nothing livens up a run more than the roulette when of your hip popping out on a random stride.
  • pinno
    orraloon wrote:
    Illuminating how strong have become legs compared with arms and back muscles. Is what cycling will do for you.
    Haven't been swimming for ages, found out the arms/back thing when I started doing time trials and having to try and stay in an aero position for 50 miles :roll:

The Plank.

Try 3 sets of 1 minute and then 4 etc etc. Plus a few crunches (hold) and lying on your back and raising straight legs for a count of 5, set of 10 - count of 10?, then 15 etc Work your way up. You don't need to go to the gym.
    I can do 4 sets of 3 minute planks now after 6 weeks.
    The effect that is has on my lower back and stability is difficult to quantify.

I'm in the routine of doing core stability work and then some stretching post ride.
  • thistle_
    Pinno wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

The Plank.

Try 3 sets of 1 minute and then 4 etc etc. Plus a few crunches (hold) and lying on your back and raising straight legs for a count of 5, set of 10 - count of 10?, then 15 etc Work your way up. You don't need to go to the gym.
    I can do 4 sets of 3 minute planks now after 6 weeks.
    The effect that is has on my lower back and stability is difficult to quantify.

I'm in the routine of doing core stability work and then some stretching post ride.
    I started going to Pilates which helped quite a bit, and they do that sort off stuff there. I'll have to start going again.
    Trying to do it at home is tricky due to distractions, lack of space and heckling.
  • pinno
    Trying to do it at home is tricky due to distractions, lack of space and heckling.

Not good - you don't need sh1t. You don't need much room though - bedroom floor?
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Couldn't wait any longer. Went out on the bike for an hour and a half. Fine while I was out there, but have just had to use Mrs H3's inhaler after a massive coughing fit left me wheezing and breathless on my return. :roll:
  • Stevo_666
    Made it back from Cambridge - successful foray into the academic hinterland (and a useful trip to the car dealers who even let the dog come in despite the muddy paw on showroom car risk). Stropteen got a good look around and we made a useful contact in one of the colleges who might come in handy come application time.

Now time to chill out - CBA with New Years Eve stuff. Bah humbug.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • hopkinb
    What college/s did the two of you visit Stevo?
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb wrote:
    What college/s did the two of you visit Stevo?
    They went to St. John's and Jesus. The first one because Mrs. 666 made contact with one of the veterinary science professors who showed them around and took them to the veterinary facility; the second one was on the list of suitable ones and was close by and they were allowed in for a wander. Do you know much about Cambridge colleges Hoppy?

I just took the hound for a walk in Cambridge and dropped in on the car dealer to get a few things sorted in advance of collection day.
  • hopkinb
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Do you know much about Cambridge colleges Hoppy?

Nope, just curious. Exciting times for Stropteen.

I went down the Oxford route at school, being of a humanities bent. Did well in the additional exams, but performed like a gibbering fool at interview. At three separate colleges. I can't say that they didn't try their best to find me a place, but I just couldn't stop being an adolescent dick.
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Do you know much about Cambridge colleges Hoppy?

Nope, just curious. Exciting times for Stropteen.

I went down the Oxford route at school, being of a humanities bent. Did well in the additional exams, but performed like a gibbering fool at interview. At three separate colleges. I can't say that they didn't try their best to find me a place, but I just couldn't stop being an adolescent dick.
    Ah OK - wasn't sure if you had any top tips. Hopefully she'll go for it and get in. She has a couple of days up there in half term shadowing said professor who seems very helpful, so hopefully this will help her come application and interview time in a year or so.
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    ...and dropped in on the car dealer to get a few things sorted in advance of collection day.

Spikes on the wheels?
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    ...and dropped in on the car dealer to get a few things sorted in advance of collection day.

Spikes on the wheels?
    I knew I'd forgotten something - 'Pleb spikes' are an option I believe and very handy in South London. Also one of these will be good car security:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc
  • Evening All.
    Fairly uninteresting day again today, nice long walk and a few beers over dinner. Last day off tomorrow then back at work. I sense a world of pain coming up which will be interesting.
    I’d like to say to you all: if 2018 has been a beeatch I sincerely hope next year will be better. And if you’ve had a good year, again I hope next year will be better. Always nice to see people being successful.
    Peace and love to you all.
    Cheers. Out.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    I have to say 2018 was largely crap, however I’m hopeful of better things in 2019. Packing up work for starters come April. All the best to all of you.

Oh, and I’m going to re-read the MM thread again tomorrow before it gets deleted. Something very suspicious now....
  • pinno
    Have a good new year and all the best for 2019.

Especially VN - It's been one heck of a clusterfuck for him.

Take care.
  • hopkinb
    Aye. The 68's have had a shitty year. Glass raised.

I've not had too bad a year, for which I am grateful. I could do with dropping a few kgs, and being a bit faster.

All the best for 2019 to all you shirkers, malingerers, bollox talkers, cyclists, loons, part time and full time boozers . It's often a pleasure.
  • Stevo_666
    A good 2019 awaits...Enjoy.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    one can only only express once again the sentiments as previously posted passim - have a crackin' one and here is to a happy and safe 2019.

oh - and lab coated norks. can't forget them. and ed sheeran being run over by a transit van full of armed robbers who then shoot him in all the genitals he owns.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Cheers chaps, couldn’t agree more. All the best to everyone for 2019.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Agree re v68 - 2019 maybe be worse for me as I think I maybe banned from the local as the owner is away and we managed to get his key and have sent him pictures of a load of us naked on his sofa