Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

lightest wheelset for under £250

pe1terpe1ter Posts: 169
edited December 2018 in Road buying advice
currently have mavik aksiums on my cube attain i think they weigh around 1850 grams fo the pair im looking for something alot lighter for £250 is this possible or do i have to spend alot more

Posts

  • tonysjtonysj Posts: 386
    CERO AR24 EVO from Cycle Division currently £189 plus postage.
    I have some and did a first impression review with comparison of weights over stock wheels.
    I rate them and I'm sure others will contribute on then as they are a good value light set but probably not for the heavy rider.
    Regards.
    Tony.
  • crescentcrescent Posts: 1,102
    I also rate the Cero AR24s. I bought mine about a year ago and I really like the weight improvement and the way they spin freely - noticeable improvement over the Fulcrum 7s they replaced (although no complaints about the 7s either). There is another similar thread on wheels and the spec of the Cero wheels is queried but I can only speak as I find and for the money they are very good, I think. Worth saying that they are on my 'summer' bike so not used in poor weather other than a bit of rain, not to say they wouldn't be ok but I keep them for summer use only.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Bianchi Impulso
    BMC Teammachine

    “When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells
    Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • ceros for me too. Likewise, my summer wheels, though quite sure they would be suitable all year round. For all year round workhorses campag Zondas are highly rated
  • tonysjtonysj Posts: 386
    This is the initial review I did on the CERO AR24 EVO wheels.

    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13088257

    Regards.

    Tony.
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,729
    pe1ter wrote:
    currently have mavik aksiums on my cube attain i think they weigh around 1850 grams fo the pair im looking for something alot lighter for £250 is this possible or do i have to spend alot more

    Seems a reasonable question to ask - why do you want 'lighter' wheels and what are your expectations of them?
  • cyclecliniccycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    It really depends on what you want from them. Its easy to build lighter wheels for under £250 cero do but they make compromises that most people dont care about. You can how stiff a rim is for it width depth and profile. The spoke and hub bracing angles are known for this wheel (to me anyway) and I would not build what cero has done and market it for anyone. I would expect a few spoke failures.

    Then there are the hubs which I think are hubsmith. Bearing replacements are straightforward but dont expect to get big miles from them. Lighter wheels than your askiums are easy and £250 to £300 is all that needed. How long a wheel spins for in another Cero thread does not tell you about !quality" it tells you how much drag there is from the seals which cannot be noticed on the road as drag with no weight tells you nothing about drag when the wheel is loaded. Also non contacting seals which let more water in have less drag. your choice.

    Lighter wheels are not buy themselves better wheels. In fact weight has little to do with how a wheel feels to ride. stiffer wheels of the same weight can feel "lighter".
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • shiznit76shiznit76 Posts: 640
    edited December 2018
    It really depends on what you want from them. Its easy to build lighter wheels for under £250 cero do but they make compromises that most people dont care about. You can how stiff a rim is for it width depth and profile. The spoke and hub bracing angles are known for this wheel (to me anyway) and I would not build what cero has done and market it for anyone. I would expect a few spoke failures.

    Then there are the hubs which I think are hubsmith. Bearing replacements are straightforward but dont expect to get big miles from them. Lighter wheels than your askiums are easy and £250 to £300 is all that needed. How long a wheel spins for in another Cero thread does not tell you about !quality" it tells you how much drag there is from the seals which cannot be noticed on the road as drag with no weight tells you nothing about drag when the wheel is loaded. Also non contacting seals which let more water in have less drag. your choice.

    Lighter wheels are not buy themselves better wheels. In fact weight has little to do with how a wheel feels to ride. stiffer wheels of the same weight can feel "lighter".

    What's your view on mavic cosmic elite UST's? I'm thinking of these as a possible replacememt and bow to your knowledge in this area
  • pe1terpe1ter Posts: 169
    the reason for wanting lighter rims is to tryv and shave a bit of weight of the bike
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,729
    pe1ter wrote:
    the reason for wanting lighter rims is to tryv and shave a bit of weight of the bike

    Well obviously - but for what actual, practical benefit?
  • pe1terpe1ter Posts: 169
    better wheels hopefuly i will get a quicker and better ride
  • svettysvetty Posts: 1,904
    edited December 2018
    Imposter wrote:
    pe1ter wrote:
    the reason for wanting lighter rims is to tryv and shave a bit of weight of the bike

    Well obviously - but for what actual, practical benefit?
    Don't be such a party-pooper Mr I! :wink:

    We all know that the real world benefits are more illusory than real but having a nice light bike is still a pleasant thing to plan for and use - and just because a gain is marginal doesn't mean it isn't a gain.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,729
    pe1ter wrote:
    better wheels hopefuly i will get a quicker and better ride

    Sorry for being a party pooper ( ;) ) - but that's not how it works. A few grams saved might mean fractional/practically undetectable gains when climbing. On the flat, on regular roads lighter wheels are not going to make any difference at all, outside of a competitive environment.
  • pe1terpe1ter Posts: 169
    so would you say i would be better keeping the mavics and putting some better tyres on them
  • pe1ter wrote:
    so would you say i would be better keeping the mavics and putting some better tyres on them

    Probably, up to you, get what you think looks best, a few grams isn't going make you go much faster
Sign In or Register to comment.