larkim
larkim Posts: 2,474
edited January 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Cleaning off son's bike and the front right seal on his Reba looks like this:-

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aJbmbj736hic85Dg8

aJbmbj736hic85Dg8

Is there a a straightforward fix?
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    I'd just clean up around it, apply some wet lube or fork juice and shove it back in. Then keep an eye on it.

Warning: I am not a fork maintenance expert.
  • larkim
    It looks threaded though?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    It’s not threaded.
    Push it carefully back in to place and the apply Fork Juice to the stantions and cycle the forks to get it in to the seals.

Have the forks ever been serviced?
    The seals have probably dried out if not.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ^^^^^^^^^ this.

I would take it as a sign to do a lower leg service.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • larkim
    Last serviced 18 months ago, so that sounds about right. Timing not good though for various reasons.

If I've not got any specific fork lube and what would be a good alternative for a temporary solution until it can get serviced at Easter (I know, I know, but that's the reality)? Wet chain lube? PF30?
  • I would advise getting some of this in the meantime...

https://www.tftuned.com/wpl-forkboost-b ... lube/p3354
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    larkim wrote:
    Last serviced 18 months ago, so that sounds about right. Timing not good though for various reasons.

If I've not got any specific fork lube and what would be a good alternative for a temporary solution until it can get serviced at Easter (I know, I know, but that's the reality)? Wet chain lube? PF30?
    Suspension oil, you can get it from Halfords or a car/motorbike parts place and you need some if you do the lower leg service anyway.

The service is pretty straightforward if you want to do it yourself - it's basically clean out the crud and change the oil. You can reuse the seals/foam rings if they're not too bad.
  • Would a service be required on a Reba fork if it had been stood for over a year with very light use beforehand?
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    MadfishJDM wrote:
    Would a service be required on a Reba fork if it had been stood for over a year with very light use beforehand?

It will depend upon where the bike was stored. Was it outside or in the garage. Was it moved at all or just left? It would also depend upon how long it has been since the fork was last serviced or was new. If it was ages, then the seals out of contact with the oil may have dried out. If you have the skills, service the fork yourself. If you don't, then apply some wet lube (Fork Juice is best, but I'm guessing you don't have any of that) to the stanchions and cycle them up and down several times and then wipe off the surplus. If the oil leaves a mucky ring, then wipe and repeat until it is clear. I'd also leave the bike parked upside down overnight to let the internal oil come into contact with the upper seals.

None of the above will replace or replicate in any way a proper service and it may have zero impact. But it costs washers, takes little time and may make the difference. Then ride the bike and see what you think. It is worth a little effort to see if a proper service is really required. You might get away with it.
  • Thanks for that, will get some fork juice and do what you suggested.

The bike has been kept in the house so away from the emements
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    That's the same thing that MadfishJDM recommended!
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009