Dynamo light upgrade on the one bike?

andyh01
andyh01 Posts: 599
edited December 2018 in Road buying advice
Merry Christmas all
As per other posts looking at getting Mason Bokeh in the new year.
There is an option to have fitted dynamo Sun Delux hub and Supanova E3 triple front light plus tail light for £600 making the total £3700.
This is my only main bike mainly used for the daily commute 10 miles each way all year and weather.

I may get a summer set of wheels to use in Summer which may or may not have the dynamo hub.

As the only bike, is it worth going dynamo or not?
I currently use a Hope R4 front light and was considering pairing with the rear district light.
Can't decide whether to go for the dynamo set-up or not?
Thanks Andy

Comments

• jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    If you do a lot of overnight riding or multi-day touring, it's worth it. If not, your current light is probably more than enough for your needs.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    You want to spend how much on what now?

Blimey.

You can get a dynamo front wheel and lights ordered from germany for less than £150, which would seem a more sane amount of money to spend for the dark months of a ten mile commute.

Otherwise I'd suggest using what you have.

You haven't mentioned that you have any overnight off road bike events lined up? It's not a very considerate light to use on the road, won't be legal if you ever find yourself riding in germany, there are dozens of other dynamo lights out there with shaped beams that illuminate the road better and don't dazzle other traffic, etc.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    I don't plan to do any overnight rides as yet, not enough hours in the day busy family life. I would like to eventually do the coast run which is about 100 miles each way but doubt it'll be any time soon.

Most of the he 10 mile each way commute is off road national cycle path /tow path with little on road , I'd prefer riding off road than on but have to use roads to get to get off road and as brightness varies with speed I'd rather go for the triple higher lumens than the Supanova pro which is more on road light.

On the one bike I like the idea of fit and forget or being caught out either without light or flat batteries.
    OTOH concerned w bit about additional drag and the cost, the wheels are Hunt with the Son delux hub (approx £250 hub) and the front lamp is £250 plus tail light £50 and fitted suppose I could look to add later but then would need another wheel...